Ancient LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodesbrew

Reaction score
I have recently come across some very old dark LME that a co-worker ga e me. Not sure how old exactly but for some reason it was stored in a plastic bag and is completely solid! I was thinking of setting up a double boiler to possibly turn it back into a liquid state to avoid any scorching. Any thoughts or experience with this? Also it was free so if it doesn't work, it's no loss for me :)

Solidified LME??! boy,that's a new one. First time I ever heard of LME going solid. That's not extract,it's a bloody fossil!

I gave up brewing in 2002, started again in 2009. I had some old, opened LME that lasted that time. It was 'Light' LME, but was really dark. It was still liquid. I used it (to practice with), and drank the results, it was OK, but wouldn't do it again. Solid LME ...... Not sure what you need to do to get that; dump it.

had 3 lbs of solidified light DME bought back in the 90's. It had turned orange in a sealed plastic bag. Willing to experiment, I put it in a large pot and covered it with water and slow boiled over an hour or so until it melted thoroughly--tasted okay, just not flavorful. So I added 1lb of chocolate syrup and 2 lbs of raspberries and blueberries to make it a sweet ale, no hops.

WP_001027.jpg

WP_001072.jpg

WP_001075.jpg

WP_001084.jpg

WP_001085.jpg

had never really played with bread yeast before, read about Joe's AOM and his use of it, felt inspired.

sure it's slower than brewing strains, but I'm just gonna rack it once the fruit falls and then forget it for a few more months, maybe a year or 4, who knows

Back