Small kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bibbly

Reaction score
Anyone know of a 5 litre legging system?? The kegs are all too big and I want to mechanically carbonate so the small draft systems won't work.

Anyone know of a 5 litre legging system?? The kegs are all too big and I want to mechanically carbonate so the small draft systems won't work.

Legging system?? No. Kegging system, perhaps. You can easily order 2.5-3.0 gallon kegs (different suppliers have at least the 2.5 gallon, some have the smaller). William's Brewing offers as small as a 1.75 gallon keg. Personally, I'd rather get the Italian made kegs (2.5 or 3 gallon size) or your standard corny kegs (used, or new Italian made). I have my brew fridge set up to work with up to four 2.5-3 gallon corny kegs. Works really well, and without issue.

I have seen posts by people who have modified the crappy 5L kegs to use standard gas fittings. Not sure about the liquid side though. I wouldn't bother with doing that. Sort of like putting lipstick onto a pig, IMO. I did [briefly] use the 5L mini-kegs early on when I started brewing. Put part of two batches into them and then they sat in the closet. IME, they were more pain than they were worth. Better off not spending the money on those, set it aside for getting a regular kegging setup (with kegs that hold pressure well) and move on.

BTW, I purchased my brew fridge brand new, for the express purpose of kegging in it. It's a 10 cubic foot Whirlpool fridge (freezer on top, which holds my hops). They tried to sell me the extended warranty on it, until I asked if it would cover it once I put holes in the side for CO2 lines, and in the door for taps. That stopped saleswoman up pretty fast on that part. :D It's been working great since I set it up. Especially since I don't need an external temperature controller (adjusted the fridge temperature dial to be good for beer, and set the freezer to max for the hops).

Back