Alton Brown is the Man!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neomich

Reaction score
I saw Alton cook a rib roast last night with a flower pot. I've seen him use other items for cooking before too but for some reason seeing him use a flower pot like that really got me.

If I were a professional chef, he'd be the only person who would intimidate me.

bah, I don't have 3 days to prepare. Might have to try it with the other half I have frozen right now, when I decide to cook it. Wound up getting an 8.5lb roast when I asked for 4-5lbs.

killian said:
didnt he boil his grain in that brew episode?

Yeah he did. I cringed. He made a couple of other small mistakes, mostly terminology. He pitched the yeast straight from the fridge into 87*F wort.

I'm the only meat eater in the house so things like roasts just aren't practical for me to cook. I wish they were, I like a good juicy roast but not enough to eat on it for 2 weeks straight.

I really don't get the vegetarian thing........

haha, I've never watched that before. So, there are two hop additions...one early on for flavor, the second towards the end for aroma.

Good to know.

Neomich said:
I'm the only meat eater in the house so things like roasts just aren't practical for me to cook. I wish they were, I like a good juicy roast but not enough to eat on it for 2 weeks straight.

I really don't get the vegetarian thing........

:off: I feel your pain, I love me some cow meat! The little misses, not so much, she only eats poultry and fish, Damn non meat eaters!

Back on topic, Alton is the man! I really like Road Tasted, that show is cool.

Cheers

killian said:
didnt he boil his grain in that brew episode?
Yep...in fact, a few of his methods were a little suspect.

However, I'll give Alton credit for getting me back into brewing. I was watching that episode with my girlfriend, and pointed out what I considered mistakes. She asked how I knew, and I explained that I used to brew regularly back in the 80's. "Good idea, let's try it!" was her response.

Famous last words. She enjoys the beer, but I think she's starting to regret her initial burst of enthusiasm.

BlindLemonLars said:
Yep...in fact, a few of his methods were a little suspect.

However, I'll give Alton credit for getting me back into brewing. I was watching that episode with my girlfriend, and pointed out what I considered mistakes. She asked how I knew, and I explained that I used to brew regularly back in the 80's. "Good idea, let's try it!" was her response.

Famous last words. She enjoys the beer, but I think she's starting to regret her initial burst of enthusiasm.

That's funny. Between Alton's show and another local show that featured homebrew shops in the Bay Area, the SWMBO was totally excited to brew. Now I think she regrets it a little because I've become "obsessed" with it. Still, she enjoys reaping the rewards.

There are some things that he could have done differently or better in that show, but he still described and documented the process better than most of the people who attempt to do so on youtube.

Ó Flannagáin said:
I'm cooking a rib roast tonight... was planning on just doing it in the oven. I wonder if I can find info on that episode.

fyi - rib roasts are awesome done on a charcoal grill (indirect heat):ban:

wop31 said:
I think the general concensus was that it was more to get people interested then to be an educational video.
Yep, and in that regard the episode seems to have been a great success. I'm sure he's inspired a lot of people to look further into brewing. He certainly inspired me to fetch all my old equipment out of the attic and put it to use again.

Even if he were a bona fide expert, it would be awfully hard to teach somebody how to brew in 22 minutes without leaving any details out, or cutting a corner here or there. It's even harder if you need to be entertaining as well. It's a fine line, and he walked it pretty well.

I'm a big fan of his show, and respect the enthusiasm he brings to every topic.

As bad as it sounds I have actually seen every single episode of good eats and look forward to upcoming ones :ban: and his episode on brewing is what made me realize that I could actually make good beer at home. I have also learned ALOT from his shows because he doesnt teach you a recipe but instead he tells you why and how things work so you can make your own recipies.

dataz722 said:
As bad as it sounds I have actually seen every single episode of good eats and look forward to upcoming ones :ban: and his episode on brewing is what made me realize that I could actually make good beer at home. I have also learned ALOT from his shows because he doesnt teach you a recipe but instead he tells you why and how things work so you can make your own recipies.

Agreed on all counts :mug:

dataz722 said:

Yep, this is why I like this guy. Plus, he explains how to actually go to the store and get the right stuff and ask the right questions.

Lets see one of the other celebrity chefs jump on a motorcycle and pull into some random dive and actually be able to intelligently discuss what they're cooking and how the source their ingredients.

Soulive21 said:
Agreed on all counts :mug:

Me too.:mug:

His rigged up smoker episode is well worth watching too. It inspired me to make a smoker out of 2 flower pots(not exactly per his instructions, but like I said, I was inspired) It worked incredibly well.

I wasnt trying to say anything bad about the guy but he seems so knowledgeable about most topics I was just surprised that he did make those mistakes.
-
I also like the show and watch it often

Damn it killian...GET OUT!!(just kidding) I think he was going out of his way to show that brewing was so super easy, that he missed a couple of things. If we could get word to him, he would probably do another episode. He is obviously running out of good subject matter. His next episode will probaly be on the often mis-understood and underappreciated art of making baby food.

Back