Bottle Bomb Tester

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAREEBROWNBEEST

Reaction score
image-2992937983.jpg

So I made a nice cider that I back sweetened with juice concentrate and in 24 hours it was ready to drink, nice and bubbly and sweet how I like it. To stop the over carbonation and possible "bottle Bombs" I placed all my bottles in the fridge to prevent bombs. Well I decided to leave one of the bottles out to see if and when the bottle decides to explode. I will post my results. :)

I use flip tops they just puke and don't blow but you might want someone else (with a sense of humor) to open the first one.

Thin plastic refrigerator drawers for protection? I don't think I'd want to be around if it the bottle goes boom!

Man, awesome:) I love the replies! Especially the one about failing. I actually want to see it fail too in a way... I want to see how long it takes. I will post pics and report how long it took and so on.

How 'bout a LIVE WEBCAM so I can try to witness the inevitable massive explosion? You could literally have tens of people staring at a bottle all day!

Here's some pics, I thought I would throw in my hareebrownbeest dog. He inspired my login name. Do you see the imprint on the cap? My capper leaves them and usually it's a good indicator when the indent is gone. But it still remains. Hmmmm

hareebrownbeest said:
here's some pics, i thought i would throw in my hareebrownbeest dog. He inspired my login name. Do you see the imprint on the cap? My capper leaves them and usually it's a good indicator when the indent is gone. But it still remains. Hmmmm

image-1513892885.jpg

image-3650712352.jpg

Nice pug. Now get the webcam up and running and put on some safety glasses, gloves, and jock strap for Pete's sake!

Wait! I think I can see the cap bulging a little!

Better keep that sucker in the plastic shield and STAND BACK! Oh and please continue to post a daily photograph so we can keep a close eye on the progress!!

Here's some pics, I thought I would throw in my hareebrownbeest dog. He inspired my login name. Do you see the imprint on the cap? My capper leaves them and usually it's a good indicator when the indent is gone. But it still remains. Hmmmm

My capper leaves deep circular indent on my bottles too. Do you have a pic of your capper? Mine is an old metal contraption with a very few plastic parts. I also have one of those red plastic jobs but that one was terrible.

Tick-tock, tick-tock, how many hours left on the clock? tick-tock, tick-tock, how many hours left on the clock? tick-tock, tick-tock...

We did something similar back in high school. Over primed a PET bottle on purpose. Once it had carbed up there was so much pressure in that thing that the bottom no longer had the nice stand bit but was all round out. Threw that thing high in the air and ran, sounded like a granade when it landed!

Latest posts

Back