super noob mistake, killing yeast with high gravity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
OK, this seems to me to be a super dumb mistake, and I'd like to know if I'm completely screwed.

Anyhow, I tried making a starter from some leftover DME and water for my german ale/kolsh yeast. This morning I noticed the starter had done nothing. I was confused because my previous starter took off within hours, and I was sure to pitch at 70*, so I began to look for answers. I took a gravity reading of the leftover starter extract, and the hydrometer floated off the charts. Practically molasses. So I attempted to pour off over half of the starter (the yeast had settled to the bottom) and add some pure 70* water to the starter in hopes of bringing the SG to a normal range.

Did I kill my yeast by leaving it 14 hours in this super high sugar mixture?

-J

depends, what is the gravity at? too high a gravity and the yeast will be unable to pull in any nutrients through their cell walls. This is one of the main reasons for making a starter for high gravity beers (the other main reason of course is quantity of active cells).

give it time. I doubt you killed it, but if its too thick the yeast will likely remain dormant since they can't pull in nutrients.

I adjusted the starter gravity after I figured out what I had done to about 1.045. I guess I'll wait and see. Thanks for your help!
-J

Latest posts

Back