Question about when to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaeg1

Reaction score
Newbie question here. I did a batch of Raspberry Apple cider and was getting ready to bottle. Fermentation had been done for two weeks, no airlock activity at all. I moved the carboy to get ready for bottling, and the airlock started to show signs of activity again. I thought maybe I had just "woke up" the yeast from a dormant state and waited another day to bottle. But I am still seeing airlock activity one day later (bubble every 25 seconds).

Question is: Should I continue to wait, or is this nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Airlock activity, or lack of it, means nothing at all. You need to take a grav reading to see what's going on. And since this is a cider, I would be thinking a couple of months if not longer to let it finish and clear before bottling.

Revvy speaks truth.

Now, when you move a carboy that has finished fermenting, you will likely see airlock activity because there are probably little pockets of Co2 that didn't quite bubble out of the trub, Offgassing is also possible, especially with higher grav beers.

So take a grav reading- that's the only way to be sure. Always go by your hydrometer.

Back