Great HOP pricing going on!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone got an idea? I have the attachment for my foodsaver. where do I get cheap jars?

Check out your grocery store. Our King Soopers/Kroger carries a ton of canning jars and supplies for pretty cheap. Maybe it's a seasonal item. In the aisle with kitchen gadgets and such.

I think they're seasonal around here. I saw them in the grocery store one week and thought, I'll buy them next time, next time they were gone, havnt come back. I was able to find a good selection well stocked at wally world tho.

damn I just vacuum sealed 3 lbs into 2oz portions and my hands smell beautiful, so does my house. Surprisingly the Galena smelled the best out of the 3 the other two were Willamette and Amarillo...

I ordered 4lbs. of hops and after weighing them found I'd received 4 lbs. 8.3 oz. That's an extra 1/2 lb. of hops boys and girls. Thanks Puterbaugh!

Cheeky! Their website said allow 1-2 days to pack and ship my order - but the email receipt says 5-7!! Looks like I won't get it in time for my next brew day, but should be all set for hops for the next few months, and not have to pay the extortionate $2 an ounce at my LHBS!

Cheeky! Their website said allow 1-2 days to pack and ship my order - but the email receipt says 5-7!! Looks like I won't get it in time for my next brew day, but should be all set for hops for the next few months, and not have to pay the extortionate $2 an ounce at my LHBS!

Two dollars an ounce is a good price. My store is 4.25 a lb.

is that two american dollars or some other place?

I live in seattle, so very close to the majority of hop growers and our hbs's still price hops at at least 6 bucks for two oz.

He probably meant oz. My LHBS sells hop plugs for 4.50 an oz so I know what he's going through. bastards..

Two dollars an ounce is a good price. My store is 4.25 a lb.

I'm assuming that you meant $4.25 per oz!

I ordered 2 lbs and wound up with a total of 4 oz extra -- I am very happy! I think I am going to order more. If kept in sealer bags in the freezer, what is the average shelf life of these pellets?

I'm still blown away by this - sort of a "where have you been all my life?!" reaction.

A pound of Chinook, pound of Cascade, pound of Wiliamette for $25 plus shipping.

I'm assuming their shipping charges are reasonable, right? It's not like they're going to charge me $25 for hops, and the same for shipping? (Even if they did though, it's still works out at around $1 an ounce!)

I'm still blown away by this - sort of a "where have you been all my life?!" reaction.

A pound of Chinook, pound of Cascade, pound of Wiliamette for $25 plus shipping.

I'm assuming their shipping charges are reasonable, right? It's not like they're going to charge me $25 for hops, and the same for shipping? (Even if they did though, it's still works out at around $1 an ounce!)

Prob be about 10 bucks for shipping.

It was like 10 or 11 bucks for 5lbs sent to GA.

Bam! I just received my 4 lbs - Cascade, Amarillo, US Goldings and Willamette. Total cost, including shipping (which was $9.07): $45.57. $0.71 per oz! Awesome.

I immediately weighed them to see if any of the bags were heavier than the others ... does anyone have any idea what the bags themselves weigh? Two of my bags weigh about 1 lb, 1.7 oz each, and the other 2 weigh about 1lb, 2.6 oz each(give or take a .1 or so in either direction). Would the difference be explained by, say, slightly different packing methods, or might I have actually gotten an extra oz or two thrown in?

Either way, I'm super stoked.

Bam! I just received my 4 lbs - Cascade, Amarillo, US Goldings and Willamette. Total cost, including shipping (which was $9.07): $45.57. $0.71 per oz! Awesome.

I immediately weighed them to see if any of the bags were heavier than the others ... does anyone have any idea what the bags themselves weigh? Two of my bags weigh about 1 lb, 1.7 oz each, and the other 2 weigh about 1lb, 2.6 oz each(give or take a .1 or so in either direction). Would the difference be explained by, say, slightly different packing methods, or might I have actually gotten an extra oz or two thrown in?

all of my bags were right around 0.55 oz.

You did indeed get more. I removed mine and weighed them and what was supposed to have been 4lbs total was 4lbs, 8.3 oz. Yes, they rock!

all of my bags were right around 0.55 oz.

You did indeed get more. I removed mine and weighed them and what was supposed to have been 4lbs total was 4lbs, 8.3 oz. Yes, they rock!

Well sh*t yeah, then! Thanks for the responses! Looks like I got something like 6 extra oz. Makes the total cost a whopping $0.65 per oz! Amazing!

What about an order that comes with 6+ POUNDS of extra hops? :D

HD is the bombdiggity

6+ POUNDS extra?! How big was your order, 50 lbs?!

Yes........

Yeah he did! :rockin: Here you can see him unpacking them!

P1020532.jpg

Just got two packages at work, 10 lbs from Puterbaugh Farms and 3 lbs from Niko. Ordered on the 13th and 14th respectively, delivered on the 26th. I can't wait to go home, open and drool.

Got my order from Puterbaugh last week and finally had a chance to open, weigh and repackage over the weekend. Each pound was consistently overweight by an ounce and a half! Very nice indeed!

also, when I asked about jars for repackaging, I meant where do you get foodsaver jars, so I can vacuum seal the hops!

I got some on ebay. how much should I be paying?

Not sure about the foodsaver jars, but with the foodsaver attachment, any mason jar (depending on regular/wide mouth) becomes a vacuum-sealable jar, and probably for 800% less cost than buying an actual foodsaver brand jar.

what would fit walmart quart size mason jars?

also, I just use that on a mason jar then it sucks the air out and locks it with the regular lid and you can just move it to lock another jar correct?

Their workload must be approaching normal levels again. Ordered yesterday afternoon and received an e-mail with shipping charges last night.

Long live HopsDirect.com :D

what would fit walmart quart size mason jars?
IIRC, people were able to get 1/2 pound in quart jars... but I might be thinking of pint jars...
*Edit* see here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/great-hop-pricing-going-135501/index7.html#post1548118 (9 oz in 12 oz jar, don't pack them to the brim)

also, I just use that on a mason jar then it sucks the air out and locks it with the regular lid and you can just move it to lock another jar correct?

Yep, reuse the lid over and over again. Put the lid on the jar, put the attachment over the lid/jar, suck out the air with the attachment, and the lid is held on by the vacuum of air in the jar. Then just screw on the outside ring thingy to hold it in place, and you're good to go. When you open it, just redo the vacuum seal and reuse the lid as long as it stays sealable. Eventually you'll need to replace lids as the gaskets wear out, but you can buy new lids in separate packs so you can reuse the jars/rings.

Back