What do you suggest to add to this kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbotrice

Reaction score
I have a couple of True Brew kits left, IPA's, here are the ingredients:
6.6 lbs unmalted amber muntons lme
1-1.5 lbs muntons crushed crystal 2 row (looks to be around 50l)
1 oz chinook pellets for full boil
1 oz cascades pellets for last 1-2 minutes
1 or so oz's heavy toasted oak chips

I was considering adding 1-2 lbs of light dme and more hops either cascades or chinook or challengers at 15 and 1 and dry hopping as well as getting better yeast than the dry from the kit. I also have on hand some peat smoked malt, some roasted barley and some 55l crystal malt that I could add.

Thanks,
MP Wall

E P,
You are correct on boyh items. I was considering up to 3 more oz of hops and
1lb of dme and 1l2 lb of crystal 50l and 1 oz of peat smoked. The peat smoked malt might be a bit much though. mpw

I don't think you'll like that peat smoke in your IPA. Well, I know I wouldn't .
Save the smoke for the heavy stuff.

cbotrice said:
...1 oz of peat smoked. The peat smoked malt might be a bit much though....

Actually, you're probably on the right track with just an ounce in an extract recipe. When it comes to peat smoked malt, a little goes a long way. A half pound? Yeah, that would probably give you smoke inhalation. But what you have there, combined with the oak chips, should be nice, IMO.

A smokey IPA - I like the idea. But I have a huge smoker in my backyard and love anything smoked! :D

And yes, go with a liquid yeast.

Rhoobarb said:
But I have a huge smoker in my backyard
You realize that you are now required by law and convention to post a picture of your smoker so's when can see just who has the biggest. :D

El Pistolero said:
You realize that you are now required by law and convention to post a picture of your smoker so's when can see just who has the biggest. :D

I have pics somewhere, I just have to go through my files, find them and upload them. Until then, you'll just have to make due with a pic of my ex-girlfreind.

2 lbs of honey at the end of your boil would be a nice addition to your brew. I do it regularly and have enjoyed every one.

loop

I just did 18oz of honey in my last brew, before reading on the fermentation time on honey.... It's a lot slower than most of the other types of sugars that we use. Not a huge deal, just know that you'll have some extra conditioning time to get a final product when you use honey.

You could always combine the two kits, bump up the hops a bit, and add your smoked malt for a smoked Imperial IPA. Sounds damned good to me!

Back