Corny Post Wrench at Sears!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkador

Reaction score
Craftsman 11/16 x 7/8 in. Wrench, Ratcheting Box-End - Model 42165 at Sears.com

My posts vary between 11/16 and 7/8 on all of my kegs, and I didn't want to have to find 2 wrenches every time I need to take the posts off a keg. I went to Sears with the intention of buying 2 wrenches, then i found this beauty for only $10!!!
untitled8.JPG

No worries about digging through my toolkit for 2 seperate werenches. Just dedicated this to my brewbox.

Also available in an array of paired sizes.

I went to look for that one in my local sears they didn't have them, so I was looking at buying them individually cost was over $40. I just bought a wrench set that was on sale for $29.00 which included those two sizes and more.

any 12 point box end wrench or socket will do. if you have a tsc harbor freight lowes home depot you can buy the house brand and save a ton of money

Great Idea! I ordered one online and will pick it up at my local Sears. Will wrap the middle part with blue painters tape and write "Keg Wrench" on both sides.

any 12 point box end wrench or socket will do. if you have a tsc harbor freight lowes home depot you can buy the house brand and save a ton of money

I don't think this is true. "Any" 12 point box end wrench or socket will NOT do. I find you need to use a specific size that is equal to the post size :D :p :mug:

Home Depot Only caried the sockets and wrenches in expensive sets, and I already have 3/4 of the sizes in the set. I could not find a single 12point box wrench or deep well socket in 7/8 or 11/16.

Also, I find having a single wrench for the task insanley convenient.

I don't think this is true. "Any" 12 point box end wrench or socket will NOT do. I find you need to use a specific size that is equal to the post size :D :p :mug:

I literally walked into Sears with 2 Cornys with me, repersenting the 3 different posts I had to work with (2 different 6point posts, and a 12 point post) I sat by the wrenches for about 15 minutes, pulling different wrenches off the wall and seeing what would work.

Home Depot Only caried the sockets and wrenches in expensive sets, and I already have 3/4 of the sizes in the set. I could not find a single 12point box wrench or deep well socket in 7/8 or 11/16.

Also, I find having a single wrench for the task insanley convenient.

I literally walked into Sears with 2 Cornys with me, repersenting the 3 different posts I had to work with (2 different 6point posts, and a 12 point post) I sat by the wrenches for about 15 minutes, pulling different wrenches off the wall and seeing what would work.

haha, I'm sure you got some good looks.
This is what I started doing everytime I walk into Lowes/HD/Menards after redoing some plumbing in the basement and building some brewing equipment. Don't walk out until the project is built dry fitted.

One day I'm at work and I dump my whole toolbag out looking for my wrench. Only after I've packed all the tools back in my bag do I remember it's in the basement at home.

I have the exact same wrench. I need to buy another for my wrok toolbag now...

I have had one of these for a while now and I love it. Makes working with cornies a breeze. Someone in another thread recommended them and I liked the idea so much I got it that night!

i know its an ass move but i stole mine. im a clepto and you should watch your **** oh and im a hypocriteand a racist too. you could throw in some others if you want. j/k.

Nice find! It is a bit of a pain needing the two wrenches as I also have two different sized posts on different kegs.

This puppy is going on my short list of purchases.

Thanx! :mug:

Careful on your torque there folks. All you need is enough squish on the Oring (the little one under the flare on the tubing(s) to hold your max pressure.

I have always had terriffic hand strength and i don't mean to sound nasty, but I can run pressurized ferments at 5psi and finish them out, sealed, up to 25psi.

You might want to hook up 10 or 12 or even 15psi to your grey post to see just how tight you really need those.

It isn't really very tight, and running out of those little Orings really sucks.

I do want one of those for loosening my posts though.

/rant.

You can pick that one up in a set at KMart as well. I bought the set and another wrench at Sears just to keep in a drawer in the bar.

After receiving several corny kegs from AHB today and noticing the different type posts on each keg I decided to order one of these too... and I don't even know if this wrench is the right size or not!!!:drunk:

Old thread, good advice, picked one up at Sears today. Works on both sized posts on my kegs.

Subbed. It's nice to live in Chicago. I just typed in my zip and of course it's available in-store at like 5 Sears' near my apartment. I'm sick and tired of using channel-locks, vise-grips, and adjustable wrenches and then scratching the bejesus out of my posts on my cornies. I'll go pick one up this weekend.

I just filed down a deep 13/16 socket for my pin lock kegs. It is now slotted. Took about 20 minutes. The posts are almost identical! Basically it is where each point is in the socket.

Back