What's the practical difference in doing 3+2 vs 2+3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
When boiling, I see some books say boil with 3 gallons, and add to 2, and others say boil with 2 and add to 3. What's the difference, really? Taste wise, I mean. Thanks a bunch.

I believe it has to do with hop utilization. The lower the gravity (ie. the more water) of the boil the more bittering oil is extracted. I know when I got my 7 gallon brew pot I had to modify a few recipes to maintain the same IBU's. When it doubt, plug your ingredients into the recipator over at
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

It will tell you the IBU's based on the amount of boiled water and other intangibles.

Radical difference in bittering, if you don't change the hops. A simple example: TG 1.050, two gallon boil 1.125, three gallon 1.083. The same hops that would give you 50 IBU in the two gallon boil will give you 70 IBU in a three and almost 100 in 5 gallons!

Four in this example would be about 85 IBU. The guys at OSU have done a lot of research on the topic.

Definitley a difference...the lower the gravity the more bitterness youll get for sure. When i used to do extract/partial mashes i would never get an overly bitter beer no matter what, but with allgrain i hardly ever use more than .5 ounce for bittering and my beers are still really bitter.

Alright, so my situation: because of my smallish fryer, I can't do QUITE full boils, I'll be boiling 4.0 - 4.5 gallons down to 4 or so, topping off a little as I go, adding some DME to get my gravity right, and topping off with about one extra gallon in the secondary.

Bump my hops by about 20% or so, if I'm working off an AG recipe?

Back