how to bottle my first sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adriedel

Reaction score
My sour of darkness clone has been going to 10-11 months. I was thinking of bottling soon but not sure what type of bottles to use. Would 12oz regular bottles be able to hold the pressure of should I use thicker 22 oz bottles? Thanks

I used a mix of regular 12oz and larger 22/750 bottles. Make sure your fermentation is complete and carb under 3 volumes and I think you should be good to go.

bombers are not necessarily more capable of holding pressure than a 12 oz and all 12 oz bottles or not created equally:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/bottle-co2-volume-capacities-261268/

If you notice, the hardiest of the 12 oz bottles I weighed is Deschutes which is rated to 3 volumes brand new, so your average bottle is going to be a bit less, especially if it has been carbed before which weakens it, so I wouldn't carb a 12 oz past 2.5. I wish more folks were interested into looking at this and sent me information as it wouldn't be too hard to graph the bottle weights and rated pressure to get a curve that could predict what a particular bottle could handle.

I routinely bottle at 3.5 volumes in standard 12 oz and 22oz that have been used many times.

I routinely bottle at 3.5 volumes in standard 12 oz and 22oz that have been used many times.

I'm sure you can go higher, things aren't rated at their maximum potential, just a reliable safety point.

Back