Barrel aging: i have a barrel, but no stand!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewinBigD

Reaction score
So Tomorrow a freshly dumped barrel from Allagash will be arriving on my doorstep. How long can i keep the barrel empty before it will leak, and does anyone have cheap and easy plans to build a stand for one of those bad mammajammas???

I'm sure if you have some tools like a jigsaw, hammer nails, skill saw, you can make something to keep it in its side.... doesn't have to look pretty! :)

Not sure about the other questions, I think I've read about people filling it with water to keep the wood swelled??

If it dries out / is already dry just fill it with 170+ water to swell the wood before filling it with beer.

As for the stand, I just use a couple shims on each side to keep it from rolling and it does just fine.

Go to Home Depot and pick up a couple of these. I think I paid $14 for a pair, add a couple of blocks and it's stable. Plus it's mobile:

d8cd3d3b-5ab5-43f5-9b14-68940fd10e96_400.jpg

Back