10 gallon partial boils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 10 gallon brewers edge kettle with ball valve from williams brewing and am looking to brew 5 gallon full boils and some 10 gallon partial boils as well. Is it possible to brew 10 gallon batch partial boils in a ten gallon pot? I will be doing late extract additions as to not waste tons of hops due to utilization. I will account for the hops with decent brewing software if anyone has a good one to use. Hopville seems to occasionally let me down with incorrect numbers. My preboil wort volumes for a 10 gallon batch partial boiled would be steeping all of my steeping grains in 4 gallons of water for 30 mins at 155 and then adding 2 or 3 gallons more to start off my boil at about 6-7 gallons of wort. I would then begin the minute with my hops and add all of my extract in the last 15 minutes of the boil. This could mean i would be adding upto 12 pounds or so of dme or lme to 6 or so gallons of wort. Would this be too heavily concentrated of a wort to work out properly and not burn all to heck for 15 minutes? I would then chill down as normal with my wort chiller. I would have around 5 or 6 gallons chilled wort in pot. Another question i have is could I add my top off water in the kettle while chilling to chill my wort faster and transfer easier via the ball valve?

your percentages are the same as a 3 gallon partial boil, so your boil gravity should be close.

Man, 10 gallon batches with extract get pricey:(

>>I just recently purchased a 10 gallon brewers edge kettle with ball valve from williams brewing and am looking to brew 5 gallon full boils and some 10 gallon partial boils as well. Is it possible to brew 10 gallon batch partial boils in a ten gallon pot?

What you can do for a 10 gallon batch is boil 8 gallons, use Fermcap to prevent a boil over, and then top off the fermentor with water after the boil. With Fermcap you can even try 9 gallons.
Without Fermcap I would suggest 6 gallons, and hover over the pot with a spray bottle of water to spray down the boil overs.
You might even try 7 gallons, but be ready to cut heat and spray like a mad man.

Ok awesome.. im definitely liking the fermcap idea. Do you know of a good preferably free software to calculate my late additions and hop utilizations?

Back