Corriander seeds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redman67

Reaction score
Making a blue moon clone - calls for 2 ozs corriander seeds - Do I boil them whole or crush them? Thanks!

Yes add them to boil last 10-15 minutes, warning I made a blue moon clone over 3 months ago with .75 oz of coriander and it was way too much IMO, really over powering, it's just now starting to drop out a little. I also used bittering orange peel, would use fresh Valencia orange peels or the sweet ones at your LHBS

I've only used them once and that beer is still in secondary. I used 1 oz (there about) dried seed, whole, towards the end of boil. Going into primary, I could taste them. Going into secondary, I could taste them a little more.

Oh, I left them in for two weeks or so in primary and racked into secondary without them.

Making a blue moon clone - calls for 2 ozs corriander seeds - Do I boil them whole or crush them? Thanks!

How big is the batch you are brewing? I did a 2 1/2 gallon batch with half an ounce and I might consider half an ounce in a 5 gallon batch if I do it again. There is no way I would put in a full ounce in 5 gallons and I certainly wouldn't want 2 ounces.

sorry 15 gallon batch
with the input I think I will go with 1.25 oz
thanks

Might i add that the coriander should be "cracked" not "crushed" If you do a thorough crush it will likely add too much pepper flavor to the beer.

I used 1 oz. crushed. When took a gravity reading and a taste test after 5 days, tasted fine, balanced. Though considering using sweet oranges or maybe even lemon peel next time.

+1 to cracked not crushed. I just but them in a baggie and crack with a rolling pin.

Add them at 10-15 in the boil in a mesh bag so you can take them out. 1 oz is fine.

Back