Chocolate Espresso Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TUCK

Reaction score
[size=+2]Chocolate Esperesso Stout (All Grain)[/size]
[size=+1]13-F Russian Imperial Stout[/size]

38.jpg

Size: 5.28 gal
Efficiency: 72%
Attenuation: 71.8%
Calories: 291.15 per 12 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.086 (1.075 - 1.095)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.024 (1.018 - 1.030)
|================#===============|
Color: 38.0 (30.00 - 40.00)
|====================#===========|
Alcohol: 8.21% (8.00% - 12.00%)
|========#=======================|
Bitterness: 52.41 (50.00 - 90.00)

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
12.0 lbs American 2-row
1.0 lbs American Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
2.0 lbs Roasted Barley
1.0 lbs Light Brown Sugar - added during boil, boiled 15 min
8 oz Dark Cocoa Powder - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 lbs Molasses - added during boil, boiled 15 min
.5 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1.0 oz Saaz (5.00%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
8.00 fl oz WYeast 1056 American Ale
4 c Coffee Beans (Espresso) - added dry to secondary fermenter

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

[size=+1]Notes:[/size]
Hopping time was altered to achieve a higher IBU in comparison to the previous batch, a target of 50 IBU was achieved.

8 Gl water needed for mash

Hershey Dark Cocoa used
Coffee (Starbucks Espresso)

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.28[/size]

orfy said:
Is that one you've composed your self?
Why such a light crystal?

looks like a nice big beer.

Yes, I brewd it last Fall and it was a winner, except this time I used Dark Cocoa.

light crystal? Want to really be bold with the other grains flavors, taste great.

I give it at least 3-4 weeks to ferment though

mr x said:
Did you crush the coffee beans?

Sorry fo the late response

Last year I used 8 cups of brewed starbucks espresso

However once it aged the coffee really bled through, almost intense

SO...this year I only used 4 cups.
It has been aging for around 2 weeks and seems to be nice, I think it needs more time to mellow but it should be good.

TUCK said:
I'll see if I can get that posted up for you tonight

[size=+2]Chocolate Esperesso Stout[/size]
[size=+1]13-F Russian Imperial Stout[/size]

30.jpg

Size: 5.2 gal
Efficiency: 72%
Attenuation: 71.8%
Calories: 291.29 per 12 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.086 (1.075 - 1.095)
|=================#==============|
Terminal Gravity: 1.024 (1.018 - 1.030)
|================#===============|
Color: 31.0 (30.00 - 40.00)
|=========#======================|
Alcohol: 8.21% (8.00% - 12.00%)
Bitterness: 47.67 (50.00 - 90.00)
|=======#========================|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
0.75 lbs American Chocolate Malt
.75 lbs Roasted Barley
.75 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
3 lbs Muntons Dry Dark
6.6 lbs Liquid Light Extract
.5 lbs Light Brown Sugar
.5 lbs Molasses
.5 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
0.50 oz Saaz (5.00%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
8.00 fl oz WYeast 1056 American Ale
4 c Brwed Coffee (Espresso) - added dry to secondary fermenter
8 oz Cocoa Powder - added during boil, boiled 60 min

[size=+1]Schedule:[/size]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

[size=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.28[/size]

What does the brown sugar do opposed to corn sugar?
What taste does molasses impart?
Do either really do anything but up the abv?

z987k said:
What does the brown sugar do opposed to corn sugar?
What taste does molasses impart?
Do either really do anything but up the abv?

Brown Sugar- caramel flavor

Molasses- roasty sweetness (burnt Caramel)

Depends on how complex your palat is, if you don't really care for light notes and flavors found deep into tasting then, sure toss corn sugar, I don't see why that wouldn't work

I'm working on making a stout much like the one you've done here, but I'm still new to recipe brewing.

I'm looking down your list and have a question: Did you use the brown sugar and molasses for priming at bottling or did you put it in at boil?

Did I see that you had kegged or bottled the batch--if you kegged would I need more than that amount?

Thanks for any help you can offer--this sounds like a very fine stout and I'm looking forward to trying it.

THANKS! this recipe looks delicious. Would I be getting a regular RIS without the coffee? I don't know what I'd want.... But I Think I might make this, it looks too tasty to pass up and you were even nice enough to make an extract version.

I just brewed a batch of this. Took a sample after primary and tastes like it's got great potential and I haven't even dumped the coffee in yet...

Nice work!

ledonne said:
I just brewed a batch of this. Took a sample after primary and tastes like it's got great potential and I haven't even dumped the coffee in yet...

Nice work!

Sweet!!:mug: Glad you gave it a shot, hope you enjoy, if your kegging and not sure about how much coffee or curios to see what it would be like without the coffee, then just throw it in later.

I think it would be a mile, slight residual sweetness, with a little dry finish - if made without coffee.

Either way I hope you like it.

david_the_greek said:
THANKS! this recipe looks delicious. Would I be getting a regular RIS without the coffee? I don't know what I'd want.... But I Think I might make this, it looks too tasty to pass up and you were even nice enough to make an extract version.

Like I said I think it would be pretty good w/o coffee.

BTW the first time I brewed this I did the extract version- Loved it too!

james3v1 said:
I'm working on making a stout much like the one you've done here, but I'm still new to recipe brewing.

I'm looking down your list and have a question: Did you use the brown sugar and molasses for priming at bottling or did you put it in at boil?

Did I see that you had kegged or bottled the batch--if you kegged would I need more than that amount?

Thanks for any help you can offer--this sounds like a very fine stout and I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sugar and molasses went in at 15min

I have always kegged it, but if I bottled it I would probably use malt extract to bottle condition.

"if you kegged would I need more than that amount?"
don't understand the question

Hope this helped, Enjoy:ban:

Tuck

I'm thinking about brewing the extract verision of this and had a question. How's the head on this beer (thickness/retention)? Does the higher ABV or oils from the cocoa/coffee kill the head? BTW, I'll be bottling this. Thanks.

Tuck

I'm thinking about brewing the extract verision of this and had a question. How's the head on this beer (thickness/retention)? Does the higher ABV or oils from the cocoa/coffee kill the head? BTW, I'll be bottling this. Thanks.

I did the extract version of this and so far so good. Still in secondary, so I can't tell you about the head and oils. Will let you know when it comes drinking time...

ChemBrew said:
Tuck

When kegging/bottling with CO2 I have never had a problem with head retention and now that I use a Nitro/CO2 Mix on my stouts I still do not see any flaws in head retention.

My homebrew store was out of Chinook, so I am using .5 Nugget at 60 and 1oz Northern Brewer at 20.

Am I a retard if I ask if 8oz cocoa powder = 1 cup?

-J

yea, but 8 dry ounces is not 8 liquid ounces... It's dependent on the density of what you are measuring. I was just wondering which the measurement was.

Anyhow, How strong is the chocolate. I don't want something very chocolate heavy, and 1 cup seems like it may be a lot.

I can't wait to try it!
-J

miatawnt2b said:
yea, but 8 dry ounces is not 8 liquid ounces... It's dependent on the density of what you are measuring. I was just wondering which the measurement was.

Anyhow, How strong is the chocolate. I don't want something very chocolate heavy, and 1 cup seems like it may be a lot.

I can't wait to try it!
-J

The Chocolate on this batch is very suttle to me (however I love some chocolate), Also as a

SIDE NOTE* I looked up in my beer journal ( I know I am a beer queer), and I wrote that I used Godiva cocoa powder- It was very good and creamy. I am sure any high quality cocoa would give it that extra "umph", but Hersey works too.

I think it might have been a bad idea to use the dark cocoa. It really just blends with the dark grans bitterness.

Regular cocoa is better maybe because it adds that little creamyness to it.

ChemBrew said:
Looks delicious. I'm brewing this up tonight.

NICE!!!!:mug:

Man I love the smell of this brewing in the house. Last year we talked the wives into letting us (brother and I) put the main burner in the kitchen...Mmmmmmmm the smell was awsome, and the wives hated it of course along with the messy boil over due to talking beer, drinking beer, brewing beer w/o lookin.:D

bubbling away in the fermenter as we speak. The wort did not taste very chocolaty post boil, but I'm sure that is because the sweetness of the wort masked it too much. Once it's done in the primary I'm confident I'll be able to taste the chocolate.

-J

Sweet, I was hoping no one used the dark cocoa, since I was quite displeased with the results.

Hope you guys like it

Are either one of you using espresso ,if you don't have an espresso maker the have those like Manuel espresso drippers that your tighten with a screwdriver. I can't recall the proper name for it but all my Vietnamese friends have them for making their ice coffee on the go.

Like I said before last year I used 8 cups of espresso, this year I did 4.

Also I had to edit the recipe where it asked for coffee beans- it is supposed to be brewed. Sorry about that.
I have never added just the beans but if I did I would go for 8 cups.

When you say 4c espresso, does it mean 32 fl oz or does it mean 4 coffee cups or is it 4 shots of espresso.
4 cups is going to take quite a bit of brewing in most home espresso machines (4-8 pots) or about 16 double shots from Starbucks. The Starbucks route makes for an expensive batch of beer.
Still in 5gal that amount sounds about right.
Craig

CBBaron said:
When you say 4c espresso, does it mean 32 fl oz or does it mean 4 coffee cups or is it 4 shots of espresso.
4 cups is going to take quite a bit of brewing in most home espresso machines (4-8 pots) or about 16 double shots from Starbucks. The Starbucks route makes for an expensive batch of beer.
Still in 5gal that amount sounds about right.
Craig

Yes 4 cups.

*What I did*

MY espresso maker has a small insert (for the prepackaged pods) , and a large insert for ground espresso beans.

I just filled it up with ground beans, let it go until my ramekin (probably around .5cup ) was full then poured it into a measuring cup, clean the insert, refill, etc.

It does take a while

However I like the go to starbucks deal, oooo maybe tell them to throw in some hazelnut or vanilla. Might be overkill but sounds interesting.

I ended up brewing a ChocEspressStout, but I kinda made my own recipe from what I have seen on here:

10.5lb 2-row
.5lb choc malt
1lb carafa III
1lb dark munich
1lb lactose
1oz tettnanger @ 4.3%60mins
1oz tettnanger @ 4.3%40mins
US-05
Racked to secondary on top of 8oz bakers chocolate and 2 cups of cold brewed coffee.
It's still in the secondary so I'll let you guys know

I was too looking into the possibility of using cold brewed coffee instead. From what I read there is no bitterness with cold brew and tends to be creamier. My only conscern was how much to use. Is cold brew more potent than espresso?
-J

from what I've read it's less potent and it doesn't extract any oils from the coffee.

z987k said:
from what I've read it's less potent and it doesn't extract any oils from the coffee.
I concur

I would say start with 4 cups of cold brewed and go from there by tasting at every addition, personally 8 would probably be my max.

Anyone sippin on this stout?? Its ok if you don't like it . It won't hurt my feelings-I have thick skin.

Hmm never thought about brewing the coffee 1st then aging it, I've been on this Board for a day and I'm learning lots of stuff, can't wait to play with all of this.

And wow that looks like my kind of beer

Back