I Didn't Heat My Priming Sugar! Should I be worried about bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1Quark

Reaction score
I just bottled, well, a lot of beer, and since these are among my first batches, I am a rookie, and thus didn't think much of just pouring the sugar into the beer. Unfortunately, I forgot about the elementary concept of heating the sugar in water in order to make sure it dissolves. Should I be worried that the sugar didn't dissolve entirely, and that maybe too much sugar is in some bottles? I did at least stir it up.. I don't want these beers to explode; should I be worried?

The yeast will eat all the sugar even if it's not fully dissolved into a fluid when you add it. The things to be concerned about are differing levels of carbonation and possible infection. Chances are it'll work out okay, your carbonation will be a little inconsistent but as long as you roughly measured the sugar out properly it should be fine. As far as infection goes, it probably won't be an issue. Back in the day I carbed a batch that same way and all was well.

I agree with bovineblitz. I would be more concerned about infection, really. But chances are you will still have good beer. If you really want to be safe, though, you could put the bottles in a box or something and store them in a basement or garage, or just somewhere that won't be too hard to clean up just in case of a bottle bomb (and also where there isn't a chance of glass flying around the room and cutting somebody).

How much priming sugar did you use? As this isn't your first time carbonating, I assume you used a decent calculator and measured out the correct amount of sugar at least.

bovineblitz: Yeah, I had thought that the yeast would begin doing its thing, and that would alleviate the problem of the sugar dissolving. It's been 5 days and no explosions so far.

bbbblaine: Really, infection, just from the corn syrup? Yeah I put in 4 oz of priming sugar for each of the 5 gallon batches. Did a little experiment with part of one of the batches, a porter, and added Hershey's Chocolate Syrup as the primer. I did a little research on it, and was curious if it would work, or impart any flavor. I added about 2 oz of the stuff for about 1/5 of the batch.

There's not much infection risk from the sugar not being boiled - but the risk is greater than zero.

Also, boiling the sugar gives it a chance to get into solution. Scattering sugar as is often leads to unevenly carbed bottles, since it's a lot harder to mix it evenly into your batch.

Latest posts

Back