Options on this Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatWell

Reaction score
This is the recipe I got with a kit I got from a local beer brew company.

image-2640800608.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic, but I guess my question is why would I transfer into a secondary after only 5 days? I have been fermentation at about 88* for those 5 days and will check gravity after 7 days. Should I transfer? Should I leave it as is for 3 weeks then bottle? Any help will be great?

Id leave it in primary 7-10 days you want this to ferment as dry as possible

I would like to add something to this. Even for a Saison, 88 degrees is a pretty high temperature for fermentation. In the future I would lower that by 15-20 degrees. You can always finish it at 75 if you want to have it be dry. However, most Belgian yeast strains can handle up to the low 80s but its always better to ferment cooler if its possible.

brumer0 said:
I would like to add something to this. Even for a Saison, 88 degrees is a pretty high temperature for fermentation. In the future I would lower that by 15-20 degrees. You can always finish it at 75 if you want to have it be dry. However, most Belgian yeast strains can handle up to the low 80s but its always better to ferment cooler if its possible.

Ok thanks, this is my fourth brew so still looking for info. I looked at some threads and some people ramped up to 93*. I just unplugged my beer belt, and will ferment for any other couple of days and transfer into secondary for a few days and then bottle . Thanks for your words.

I woulnt worry about yne temp is it the dupont strain of yeast? Ive fermented that up to 98 degrees and it made the best beer ive brewed

It depends on the yeast strain. I have to get my White Labs saison yeast up to 85-90F for at least 2 weeks to get it to finish. There are some saison yeasts that ferment a little cooler but I've never heard of anybody using a saison yeast at 68F and having any success. Saison is the only beer I can brew in the summer without temp control, and I brew enough of them in the summer so I can almost always have one on tap.
Due to some medical procedures and a long vacation I once left a saison in primary for 11 weeks at 90-100F, before I poured it out I tasted it and it was delicious so I kegged it and enjoyed it all fall.

Weird instructions....

Boil water, add wheat directly to 212F water and steep 30min?

I usually leave my saison for a month in primary, and then direct to keg or bottle, I've rushed them off the cake and they seem lacking in complexity.

corkybstewart said:
It depends on the yeast strain. I have to get my White Labs saison yeast up to 85-90F for at least 2 weeks to get it to finish. There are some saison yeasts that ferment a little cooler but I've never heard of anybody using a saison yeast at 68F and having any success. Saison is the only beer I can brew in the summer without temp control, and I brew enough of them in the summer so I can almost always have one on tap.
Due to some medical procedures and a long vacation I once left a saison in primary for 11 weeks at 90-100F, before I poured it out I tasted it and it was delicious so I kegged it and enjoyed it all fall.

Thanks for the info. One more question...after leaving it in primary for three - four weeks, at what temp should I bottle this Saison ?

Latest posts

Back