questions about adding vanilla to a milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassballboy

Reaction score
Hey all, first post so go easy on me!

I'm about to begin my second home brew - a vanilla milk stout. I'm planning on going with real vanilla bean, but can I supplement it with vanilla extract?

Also, when should I add it, my guess is either in the last 10-15 minutes or when I put it the beer in the fermenting bucket.

Lastly, I'm shooting for a mid-level vanilla taste - enough to definitely taste it, but not enough to overpower, any recommendations on how much to use in a 5 gallon brew?

I would add 1-2 whole beans (Split open) when you rack it to a carboy for bulk aging. Give it at least 1 week. You can use a wine thief to taste the progress.

Cool, I may do that. Someone recommended I soak the beans in vodka, then split them and scrap the vanilla out and put that in - would that be preferable?

Also, would there be any downside to adding a little vanilla extract as well?

extract is often artificial flavor and other junk. Personally, If I am going to add anything to my beer, I like to use the raw ingredients.

Not sure there is anything wrong with the 2 other methods you mentioned, just go against my personal brewing philosophy.

EDIT: ROFL, the banner at at the top of the page is for Vanilla Beans!

I have only used it in Apfelewin.
Make your basic apfelwein, using Nottingham yeast, then 3 weeks in, add 1 vanilla bean, and 2 cinnimin sticks. add sulfides, and backsweeten with 1 can FCAJ antd it tasted like sweet apple pie

You are probably right, 2 beans is probably too much.

so with the vodka method, stupid question here - but I soak it in the vodka for a couple of days then take the pieces out, cut em open, then scrap the vanilla out? Then add it in the when I put it in the fermenter or the boil?

Chop he beans up(gut em if you want), soak in <1 oz of vodka for a day or so then toss it all in the fermenter.

If you sanitize with spirits add the entire thing as mentioned. The extraction of the vanilla will begin in the vodka and you will losing some of the most beneficial flavors if you dump it down the drain.

Back