Southern Star Buried Hatchet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
This at the top of my list for favorite stouts. I'd really like to take a stab at it. Any help figuring out the amounts for the given ingredients would be appreciated.

Name: Buried Hatchet

Style: Strong American Stout

Description:* Jet-black in color, this monster smells of coffee and chocolate.* The taste is much of the same, with hints of creamy toffee and roasted malt.* Smooth and delicious, this medium bodied ale is all about the malts, but has enough hop bitterness to be balanced.

Ingredients:* Malt:** Rahr Special Pale
Crisp Brown Malt
Briess Roast Malt
Rahr White Wheat
Rolled Oats
Hops:Saphir
Yeast:* California Ale
ABV:* 8.25%
IBU:* 50

Here is the recipe captainL sent me. He got it from the lhbs in The Woodlands.

Here you go:

I did it BIAB and got just over 70% eff.
6 gallons
SG 1.081
IBU's 48 (50 according to SS)
color 50
ABV 8%
FG 1.020

13.5 special pale
1.69 brown
1.56 wheat
1.5 roast (550 SRM)
1.06 flaked oats

1 oz nugget @ 60 min
I added an additional .5 oz simcoe to get to 48 IBU's because its what I had on hand.

Us-05

I'd say it tastes pretty darn close to burried hatchet. My simcoe addition may have affected it a little bit but taste good to me. One of my best ones yet.

According to brew it yourself this recipe was supposed to make 5 gallons at 1.075 which makes no sense to me.

Adding this to my brew list.

I'm not a huge stout fan but Buried Hatchet hit the spot whenever I can find it.

Adding this to my brew list.

I'm not a huge stout fan but Buried Hatchet hit the spot whenever I can find it.

I took a sample after 5 days in primary. It was at 1.026 and tasted great already. I was really worried about the 1 1/2 lbs of black malt being too bitter and harsh. Definitely not the case. I used Notty instead of 05 and bittered with Warrior.

Did it have the coffee flavor? If so, what grain does it come from?

It did. I'm no expert but I would guess the coffee comes from the 500L and brown malt combo. I think the sweetness from the 2 row cuts the bitter/burnt flavor of the black malt.

Back