diy stirrer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mummasan

Reaction score
bought a 80mm 12vdc computer fan at compusa for $10 complete with fancy lights...but the best feature is that it has a switch with three settings

connected the fan to a 9vdc converter, attached to fan to a homemade wooden box that was sitting around, screwed a small piece of pyrex ($3 at HD) on top and I am now stirring a starter for my vienna lager

the best thing about my stirrer is that i didn't need to connect a rheostat (I ignored the on/off switch) - simply plug it in on low and the magnets catch the stir bar easily

the three setting switch for the fan is currently on low and works great with a 1 inch stir bar and a 1 liter flask

life is good

This is awesome. I'll have to give this a shot. Or better yet, I have a bunch of fans laying around, maybe I'll just connect up a spare rheostat.

But yes, I'd also like to find the part number.

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...duct_code=333016&Pn=TriCool_80mm_Blue_LED_Fan
Maybe this one?

fan.gif

Do I understand this to work as a magnetic stirrer? You put it under the carboy, and
put a properly encased bar magnet in the carboy?

jaimesbeam - you are correct that this ill be used for a magnetic stirrer. However, you wouldn't want to set a carboy on top of one of these. I think the largest size container most people use for magnetic stirrers are the 1 gallon jugs, also pretty common are 2000mL erlenmeyer flasks

Back