Need Recipe Suggestion - Ready by Christmas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chicagobrew

Reaction score
I've got quite a few all-grain beer batches under the belt and was thinking about trying my hand at a mead. I'm a complete noob in this arena. I'd like to give some bottles away for Christmas and wondered if anyone had some recipe suggestions for me. What could I make that would be ready in 8.5 months? What's your favorite type? I'll listen to anything.

The ONLY thing I can think of that might be ready for Christmas this year is "Joe's Ancient Orange Mead". It's relatively quick and pretty good. The recipe is in my recipe pull down, but it's not my recipe!

Even Ancient Orange needs a lot of time to settle.
I would go with wine as a first try and not mead... that's just me. Mead needs a little more tending and time than wine.

Try a quick wine from Welch's White Grape/Raspberry. When you backsweeten... add a can for flavor as well... undiluted, then sugar to taste.

Debbie

I have made about 6 different recipes and they all pretty much taste like crap the first year (not really crap, but not really good either)...yes, they are drinkable and give you a buzz, but I wouldn't serve them to company unless you either stop the fermentation short of "dry" or sorbate and backsweeten to taste. My "No Age Sweet Mead" (recipe from Joe of JAO fame on GotMead) was probably the most drinkable within the first year, but it is fairly sweet and tastes like a desert wine. Next time I will ferment just a little drier and it may be perfect.

Well, it looks like the consensus is that it won't be ready for this Christmas. Oh well, looks like everyone is getting beer again and mead the next year. I'm still going to get started now as I just found out that my sister-in-laws parents run an apiary and I have a delivery of 15lbs of raw wildflower honey coming to me on Sunday.

I've searched the recipe forums and see a lot of good stuff out there. Since I've now got about 20 months, I'm thinking I would like to make a really good traditional mead - probably semi-sweet. Anyone got a really good recipe or does it just come down to ingredient quality and mead making skills with this type?

I'm trolling all of these mead forums for as much info as I can get. I'm also going to pick up a copy of the complete meadmaker later this week. I'm still pretty clueless, though. Anyone have some good suggestions for nutrients and schedule, and yeast selection? I've got plenty of DAP and Wyeast beer nutrient on hand from brewing and my local homebrew store is well stocked if I need anything else.

I really appreciate the help.

All of my recipes sounded great when I picked them, MapleMead, Oskar's Blueberry Mead, Orange Spice Metheglin, Crazy Good Mead, Cyser, Grape Mead, etc. I wish I could tell you which one would come out the best but I am still waiting...after one year they are all kind of dry with a harsh alcohol taste. I lost patience and started brewing beer (which I believe I now make better than what I can buy in the store) while my mead ages....I'm still not convinced that it is a good use of time or honey and would love to hear of a success story of a really great recipe.

Man I am kinda surprised by all the responds.

I agree a Mead is better with age but I have made a semi-sweet traditional and a batch of JAOM that I split between 5 guys at work and both batches (5 gallons batches) where consumed within a month.

The JAOM was handed out after only about 5 months after it was brewed and it was pretty damn good. Still a little bit of harsh alcohol taste but that did stop my co-workers from enjoying it.

If you have access to good honey at a great price I suggest you get a batch together and hand it out this Christmas. You can always suggest that they allow the Mead to age.

I need to buy a commercial mead to see what I am shooting for then....maybe mine is great. My frame of reference is good wine and great beer. I will say that my daughter took some of my bottles of mead to college and she said her friends thought I should go into the winemaking business, so maybe it depends who your audience is....haha.

Fathand,

I'm definitely going to get some going this weekend. My sister-in-law's family runs a honey business up in your neck of the woods (Bloomfield Hills) and she's going to get me 15lbs. this weekend. If it's ready or near ready at Christmas I'll give some out. If it needs another year of aging they'll all be getting beer again. They win either way.

I have seen the honey bears from Bloomfield Hills and wondered where the hives were. Do they own some land near Cranbrook? I graduated from Lahser and grew up in the area. Just curious as to where the hives are located.

Oh I did a Blood Orange Mead that was similar to a MAOM. I used OB honey, mulling spices and blood orange juice. It was very drinkable in 3 months time. It did have some hotness to it which completely disapeared in one years time. You could get one done by xmass, it will be tasty, but not as perfect as it could be. I started it in mid Feb of last year. Racked it once. Bottled it in May. Sampled it over the summer. Left it alone untill Roger Waters came through town and broke it out then. It was a big hit, but had some burn still. I tasted it this Feb and all the burn was gone. I used 71b for yeast and it fermented at a constant 57 degrees f. I think fermenting at such a low temp was helpful in keeping the hotness down.

My wife went to Lahser (class of 96). Small world.

I'm not sure where the hives are located. They're supposed to be in pesticide-free wildflower fields, so I doubt that is Cranbrook. The company is Stakich Inc. I'll check into it and see what I can find out.

I've decided to give it a go this weekend. I'm going to do a traditional semi-sweet mead, but I'll add some spices at bottling if it doesn't turn out like I hope. If it's not ready to go by Christmas I'll either label it with the suggestion to age or delay giving it for a year.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

If you make a more modest ABV mead, it could be ready by xmas (this year)... You could go with a traditional, or melomel, depending on what you really want to do. If you can get your hands on some good, fresh, fruit, go the melomel route.

For recipes, it's really not that involved... Depending on your ABV target, and how much you want to do with it, you could simple mix the honey with water (warm at most), add some DAP, rehydrate the yeast (I prefer Lalvin strains for my mead) and get it started... I would suggest leaving a decent amount of head space in the fermenter for it... Especially if you're going to aerate until the 1/3 break happens... There's a lot of good method advise on the Got Mead? website...

I would also use the mead calculator tool from the Got Mead? site to help figure out how much honey to add to the batch, to get your ABV goal... I would advise using a bit less initially, so that it will go dry, then add more until the yeast konks out. Once that happens, don't back-sweeten too much. Get it close to where you want it to finish (a bit drier is good) and then bottle it up... I would plan on at least 6 months before bottling a lower ABV mead... By lower, I'm talking ~14% ABV... :D

Gold,

That's kind of my plan. I chose D47 because of the lower alcohol tolerance. This is going to be for gifts, so it needs to appeal to a fairly wide range of people.

Can you check this for me? Here's how I went about my calculations. I want this thing to finish in the 1.008-1.015 range. So, I figured out that with an FG of 1.008 and and ABV of 14% I would get an OG of 1.115. If the yeast get a little over excited and go past 1.008 I can backsweeten or leave it be. If they stop short, 12% ABV should about 1.022, so I'm not too sweet. If it stops way short we'll have to talk about other options at that time. How attenuative do you usually find D47 to be? Do you see 14% regularly?

From there I worked back into a water volume of 3.77 gallons. In reality, I'm going to just put the hydrometer in the bucket and fill with water until I get to my OG.

Nutrients and energizer will be according to the schedule in the sticky. I'll also try some of the potassium carbonate for buffering. Degas is to be done 1-3x per day for the 1st 7-10 days or until not necessary. Rack to secondary when done fermenting and every 1-3 months after that until clear. Bottle and age to taste.

Is this how you figure out your recipes? Sound about right?

A couple more questions for you.
1. When you rack to secondary you'll invariably end up with a bit less than 5g. Do you top off to minimize head space or leave it be?
2. When would you suggest I bottle this? Is it better to bulk age and then bottle just prior to consumption, or do you bottle as soon as clear and age in bottle?

Actually 2 more questions.

3. With regards to degassing, why is oxidation not a problem with meads? We certainly wouldn't stir a beer like this.
4. If I wanted to make this mead as a 12% ABV, for example, could I just lower the OG and then hit it with potassium sorbate when I get to my desired FG? Or, would the preferred method be to let it ferment all the way out and then backsweeten?

I appreciate the help. These were the things I can't find in the forum and weren't in the Compleat Meadmaker as far as I saw.

If you're making a ~5 gallon batch, I would use 12-14# of honey initially... It's better to have it go dry, while the yeast is still alive, adding some of the reserved honey until it cries 'uncle' than have it finish too sweet. You can simply let it ferment fully (it could go down to .990) and then add ~1/2# at a time at that point... If you want to short the batch for water, so that it's a bit stronger, that could be ok, just be careful. Keep in mind, 12# of honey is 1 gallon of volume. Which means, 1# takes up about 10.6 fluid ounces for volume... So, if you reserve 1-3# of honey, you're only talking about ~1 quart of volume less. I would split the difference and only short the batch about 1 pint, if at all.

I tried to get my first traditional batches to finish to a target ABV/FG... I added too much honey, so it's not going there. I wanted in the area of 1.010, but I'll be lucky if it gets to 1.020...

I wouldn't use potassium carbonate unless the must has a really low PH... Like under 3.2... Use some test strips to determine that before you add any pot. carb. to the batch... I've not needed it in any of my batches of mead. The only thing I needed to add it to was my hard lemonade, due to how much acid is in lemonade...

If you want, you can make a bit more than 5 gallons of must, initially, and reserve 1-2 quarts... IF you do that, just be aware that you'll need more honey in order to get where you want it... I would simply not worry about it that much...

IF you have, or get, a refractometer and use one of the tools to offset for alcohol, you'll lose much less during the process. Or just sanitize everything that will touch it once you start the batch and simply pour the hydrometer sample back in. You'll not lose all that much from trub when racking. You'll lose more from blow-off (if you use a primary that's a bit tight, like I did) and hydrometer samples. I think it would be safe to feed, degass, and aerate each day for ~4-5 days, then take another hydrometer reading. If it's getting close to the 1/3 break, then take readings each day after that... Since you're OG will be in the area of 1.100, figure the 1/3 break as being around 1.063... at that point, you can leave it alone to finish... It could take the balance of a month before it's actually done fermenting. Take a reading at that time, to confirm. I would add the additional honey, a bit at a time, while still in that carboy/fermenter... Once it's finished, and stable, rack.

I would also stop adding honey when you hit about 1.006... That way, it will get better with age and you won't have issues.

This is how I plan on making my future batches... Plan on letting it ferment to dry, with yeast still viable, then add more honey to get it to the tolerance of the yeast, and beyond, then add a bit of sweetness before aging...

You could also tell the people you're giving bottles to (give them two if you can) to give it a few months, then open one. Let the other go until the following fall before having it. :D

Actually 2 more questions.

3. With regards to degassing, why is oxidation not a problem with meads? We certainly wouldn't stir a beer like this.

For mead, the yeast needs more oxygen due to the harsh environment it's pitched into. Giving it oxygen until the 1/3 break helps with this.

4. If I wanted to make this mead as a 12% ABV, for example, could I just lower the OG and then hit it with potassium sorbate when I get to my desired FG? Or, would the preferred method be to let it ferment all the way out and then backsweeten?

I appreciate the help. These were the things I can't find in the forum and weren't in the Compleat Meadmaker as far as I saw.

I think I might have answered this one in the post just before this one... :D Have you looked on the Got Mead? site yet??

Personally, I'm not treating my mead batches with stabilizers... I want them as pure as possible. While some people consider the chemicals as not being an issue there, I'm going the more traditional/old school mode in mine... Also using the KISS protocol... :D

Gold,

I think I get it now. Thanks for the help. I just checked out some threads at gotmead and there's a ton of great stuff. I've got a lot to learn, but I think I can put together a pretty good mead now. I'm going to try to do a lower gravity (12%ish) version and then backsweeten to taste. Hopefully, this should allow it to age a little quicker and be ready for Christmas.

Thanks to everyone for their input. The mead is happily bubbling away and has dropped from and OG of 1.090 (started evening 4/2) to about 1.045 as of this morning. SNA was done according to hightest's sticky and the must was degassed/aerated several times daily until it hit the 1/3 break. She's on her own now.

Recipe:
2.2lbs clover honey
14lbs wildflower honey (it was raw and must have had a lot of wax in it because I didn't think I'd need more than 13lbs to get to the OG)
water to 6gals
nutrients per hightest's schedule
2 packs d47, rehydrated

The plan from here is to let it ferment out and then rack to secondary. Rerack every 1-3 months after that until clear. Somewhere around 5-6 months I'm going to sulfite/sorbate to stabilize and then start backsweetening it. I aim to get it to about 1.010 or so. Once the backsweetening is complete and mead is cleared I'll bottle and age. I hope it's ready by Christmas, but we'll see. I'm definitely going to stash a couple bottles in the cellar for a few years to see how they age.

Any one see any problems with the above plan?

Thanks again for all of the help. I really appreciate all of the good advice.

Back