Has anyone turned a glass carboy into a fish tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you would need small fish to get em in there. and dont even think about the little sunken pirate ship

It would work fine but I wouldn't use any stone in the bottom, I'd put it on top of a light box. Filtration would be the touchy part. You'd probably want an external canister filter with just in/out tubing.

Would be a pain to clean... Clever idea though!

The only problem I see is won't the beer eventually kill the fish?!?!? And frankly, I wouldn't want to waste 5 gallons of delicious beer on a few guppies.

Brilliant, I get it. Then you can turn your 20 gallon aquarium into a fermentor!

It would certainly be fun to watch fermentation in an open 55 gallon glass box.

I have access to a 110 gallon tank. It's empty, but needs to be cleaned. If you provide the wort I'll provide the container:D

So what if the fish grows, you can't get it out anymore.. :D

Ooops..i guess the-bird already made that point.. sorry.

Something like this, only glass? You had me curious.

BTW, I considered how cheap a 10 gallon aquarium is and thought that would make a great fermenter. The light exclusion should be considered tho. Can you imagine watching your yeast working away like it was a television!:p

frogtank.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
you would need small fish to get em in there. and dont even think about the little sunken pirate ship

As soon as I read that I started thinking about the McKenzie Brothers putting a mouse in their beer...

I did this years ago with a 5 gal plastic water bottle, we had been usig as a penny bank. I put a goldfish in it that my daughter won at the state fair, figuring it would only live a few days. About 3 years later it went belly up and had grown to large to fit out the top. let's just say it was no fun gettng it out. It was cool looking and a great conversation piece though.

Cutting glass isn't too bad as long as you have the right tools and the glass isn't tempered.

i was thinking cut the carboy along the top, where it starts to curve up. you'd then want to shroud the cuts, like a glass patio table. you could hinge it, so you can get in and out of it to clean and scoop up dead fishies. course, i don't know what taking the top off the carboy will do to its ability to hold water.

i was thinking cut the carboy along the top, where it starts to curve up. you'd then want to shroud the cuts, like a glass patio table. you could hinge it, so you can get in and out of it to clean and scoop up dead fishies. course, i don't know what taking the top off the carboy will do to its ability to hold water.

Looks like the plastic one in Brew-Happy's post holds up well.

I'd be more fearful that in a glass one with the top cut off, the slightest tap would send the thing to tatters. Leaving poor little timmy bloodied, confused, and terrified of fish for the remainder of his life.

You guys gave me an idea. I'm going to empty my 180 gallon fish tank. Setup a lambic in there and then get that guy from Sierra Nevada to come to my house with the big thing that looks like a pizza peel and move my krausen around!

Like a few other people said I was sort of thinking of doing the opposite. My parents have a spare fish tank, and open fermenting sounds pretty cool. Plus, being able to watch the whole thing certainly adds to the 'neat' factor.

I know with fish bowls you're not supposed to fill up pass the widest point, probably wouldn't want to eliminate headspace or those little fish would run out of o2.

Nice to see this thread go to work while I was gone camping. Brewing Clamper, I was thinking about doing something like that, sideways, with a mixed terrariam/aqurium dealio (i think it's called a vivarium). The number one fantasy now is filling a 12 gallon glass carboy with water, sticking a plant on top, introducing some pond organisms to do their thing, add some tiny fish, some snails to clean the glass, and see just how self sustainable the enviroment could be.

Back