Yeast still on surface after 3 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pksmitty

Reaction score
My Irish Red has been in primary for 19 days. Nottingham yeast. It took about 3-4 days to begin active fermentation, but the gravity has now settled at 1.014 for the past 3 days. I'm ready to bottle this weekend, but there are still yeast colonies floating on the surface. I have no way to cold crash.

Can I just go ahead and rack to my bottling bucket as usual, or do I need to be concerned about keeping the floaties out? Anything else I need to know?

If it's stayed the same it should be ok, but me personally I usually wait til the krausen is gone.

If it is just a few "yeast rafts" floating on the surface you are fine.

And more than likely when you lift the beer to the table top or counter you will knock some of those things down.

Wow, how did you type that fast?

It's just a couple rafts floating. I just haven't seen that before in my extensive experience (3 previous batches)

Thanks for the info.

Yeah raft floaties are pretty common, very few surfaces of beers are ever perfectly clear, there are always a few rafts of yeast buoyed up from the trub by co2.

I used Notty (for the last time) in a APA a couple weeks ago and had some yeast glaciers. Had to cold crash it to get them to drop out. There's a thread about the recent problems with Nottingham lately.

I just used Nottingham for the 1st and last time. It took way too long for fermentation to start and there was left over yeast ontop of mine also.
I much prefer liquid yeast. Back to WhiteLabs for me!

Back