British Brown Ale Nut Brown AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good as-is, but it would be good a little lighter, too - just different.

After many requests by my brew buddies, we did a batch of this a while back. So I've got this on tap again right now and it really is one of my favorites.

Hey Lil' Sparky,

Did you use a starter, or just pitch the yeast directly? Please let me know planning on brewing. Sounds like a great recipe!

Yeah, you can rehydrate dry yeast, but I don't ever even bother to do that. Never made a starter for dry yeast. I can be lazy when it comes to yeast, but I've never really had a problem.

Lil' Sparky, after brewing up your Oatmeal Stout and it tasting great even after a stuck sparge, protein sludge in the fermenter, and SEVERELY ****ing up the pitching temps, I have to try this.

I'm wondering how it compares to Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, I just had a bottle and damn it was great. Nice deep flavors to it.

i brewed this 4 days ago and need some help. used the exact recipe sparky used, including nottingham (5 gallon batch). after a week there was no bubbling action in my blow off container, however there is krausen around the rim just above the liquid line.

my SG was 1.058
my current gravity is 1.014

i can still see what looks to be floating yeast granules... i am assuming the change in gravity means the yeast is doing it's job, but i've never had a batch that didn't cause action in my blow off container.

thoughts?

there are two things that could have happened, one is that the yeast burned through the sugar when you weren't around so you didn't see the bubbling, two is that there might be a leak in the seal and the CO2 just passed by your blowoff tube, at any rate it looks like the yeast has been doing it's job.

I've had yeast do that before. Usually not Notty, though. I say put it in secondary (if you do that). How did it taste?

My first Ag batch was tonight and I made this recipe. Everything went great. My S.G. was 1.056, so what kind of efficiency does this give me?

Depends on the final volume. The recipe was based on 70% efficiency, and 5.5 gals post boil. You're probably close to that.

1st taste last night. Very impressive. It is a bit different than a traditional brown with the oatmeal and the mouthfeel that it gives. Last batch I used carapils to get body, this time with the oatmeal, I didn't. I like this one much more. This one is going to go super fast -- gonna have to do a 10g batch next time. Thanks for a great recipe, Sparky!

P.S. I subed 1oz Glacier at 60mins and .75 Williamette at 30 due to hops probs. I also added .5 Victory just cause I had it laying around.

Hey Sparky,

I'm planning on brewing the PM version of this and I can't wait. I was wondering if you thought honey would work well with this recipe? If so, when would you add it, at high krausen?

Really, honey mostly adds alcohol since it's so highly fermentable. If you want some honey flavor, add maybe 1/4-1/2 lb of honey malt, but you might want to cut some of the base malt if you do that. The honey malt adds a good amount of sweetness, and this is already a full-bodied brew. If you try it, let us know how it turns out.

Strangely enough, I was getting ready to build a recipe exactly like this (in my mind). Who knows if it would have come out as good as the reviews you've gotten (not likely). So, two questions if you know.

What was your fermenting temperature, and what was your water profile?

Thanks!

What was your fermenting temperature, and what was your water profile?
I usually try to keep fermentation in the 65-70º range.

Our water here is very high in bicarbonates, so I dilute heavily with RO water. The important thing is what is YOUR water profile. If you can use it for other brews, it should work fine with this.

My....lord....I just grabbed a sample to check the gravity after 8 days......and this blew me away. I actually licked the hydrometer to get every bit of the sample. If this is green beer.....One month from now is going to be awesome.

I've been meaning to brew this up for awhile now, I finally got it together.

I'm mashing it right now, I stuck to your recipe Sparky, except I used .4lbs of maris otter toasted at 350 for 15 minutes instead of the Victory. I'm also using WLP 005 instead of Nottingham.

I'll let you know how it turns out!

The final verdict on my go round with Sparky's NB. Our March internal club competition was a Brown ale comp. We had a master level BJCP judge, someone who's studying to take the test, and a novice judge. My Score was a 28, not good enough to place, but the BJCP judge had it as his 2nd highest rated bier. I think he gave me a 33 or 34.

So that's my experience with this bier. It is a good bier, as if I needed them to tell me that! Absolutely worth brewing again.

Schlante,
Phillip

Brewed this recipe, except I subsutited Williamette hops and Bells cultured yeast. It is FABULOUS! The hydrometer samples all tasted great. I tried the bottled beer green, and it was good, but now after 3 weeks in the bottle, it's the best yet!!! SWMBO loves it!!

Pulled a sample from the keg last night and it's tasting great. I think about another week on gas and it'll be perfect.

SWMBO, not too keen on beer, had a sip and actually remarked on how it tastes pretty good.

I have brewed this twice. It is very satisfing and easy to do. On a plus side this beer keeps its flavor for many a month after bottling. A good choice for a nut brown.

This beer keeps its flavor for a very long time once bottled.

Welcome aboard. Yes, it's a full-flavored, full-bodied beer. I suspect is should age well, but for me testing that theory is kind of like trying to count the number of licks to get to the center of a tootsie roll pop. ;)

I brewed this. I tried one last night at 62 degrees and after only one week in the bottle. It was awesome. I mean really, really good. Loads of mouthfeel, wonderful aroma, and great flavor. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, Sparky!

i am brewing a version of this as we speak. If any of you partial mashers out there want a version of this, here is what i came up with brewsmith.

Ingredients

Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.054 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.20 %
Bitterness: 18.2 IBU Calories: 240 cal/pint
Est Color: 19.5 SRM

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
3.50 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 41.18 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 23.53 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 11.76 %
0.50 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.88 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.25 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2.94 %
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 11.8 IBU
0.75 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (White Labs #WLP005) Yeast-Ale

Im mashing at 156 as we speak. Should turn out great. My apartment smells awesome =).

:mug:

I'm looking for an extract version of this. I can only mash maybe 2 pounds of grains, and all the versions I saw on here have 4 or more. Or would it work to mash 2 lbs at a time, and pour what I can't boil into my carboy to cool?

I suppose you could scale the recipe to only have 2 lbs of grains, I have never done a full extract brew before so I don't really know about that. You should ask that question in the extract subforum, im sure one of those guys could help ya out.

woa!

It's all I can say as I retire for the night. I brewed this about 6 weeks ago and had all sorts of problems on brewday (not the least of which was a 63% efficiency). The one change I made was to swap out 4 lbs of munich for 4 lbs of 2row.

I've just cracked my first bottle and although it needs another couple weeks to "come out of it's shell," it is the best brown ale I've ever had. I hate it when people say things like that, but when it's true...

Creamy, a faint hint of chocolate, a touch of sweetness, and no hop interference. The body is just a touch light, but that will be corrected next time around. I will be brewing this again.... and again, and again, and again!!!!

-Sparky- Seriously, thank you!

I'm looking for an extract version of this. I can only mash maybe 2 pounds of grains, and all the versions I saw on here have 4 or more. Or would it work to mash 2 lbs at a time, and pour what I can't boil into my carboy to cool?

Any luck finding the Extract version?

Back