Can anyone shed any light on my explosion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamieduncan

Reaction score
Hello,
I, for the first time yesterday, have tried to brew red wine(maybe should have started with white?). I followed the instructions very carefully and left it on a tray and a paper incase of spills. Overnight it ejected the bung and airlock out of the demijohn and has sprayed red grapejuice all over my living room!(Ivory carpet and Moroccan sand walls! :-(()
I know, what was I doing putting it in there? Welll it said leave at room temperature to ferment so I did!
Can anyone shed any light on why this happened?
Cheers,
Jamie.

Grape juice is mainly simple sugars & it ferments explosively the first few days. I haven't done many wines, but ciders will do the same thing. I try to give them both about double the head room I would for an ale. Even so, I'll put them in the laundry's deep sink weather permitting.

I use a big bucket for primary fermentation with wine, and don't use an airlock until it moves into secondary. It's only in primay for about 5 days, or until s.g. is around 1.020. It's covered loosely with muslin or a dish towel, to keep fruitflies, etc. out of it. If it had a tight cover, it'd explode because of the huge amounts of co2 being released. You don't have to worry about oxygenation until it goes into secondary- in fact, in primary it needs all the o2 it can get. I stir it several times a day with a big sanitized spoon, pushing down the cap.

Room temperature is perfect for wine, assuming that you used wine yeast. After you paint the walls and clean/replace the carpet, make another batch and don't cover it. Put it in a bucket at least 50% bigger volume than your batch. For a 3-5 gallon batch, I use a 7.5 gallon bucket and it's gone all the way to the top at times. I do keep mine in the kitchen, just in case, but I've never had a mess.

Lorena

Thank you both kindly for your replies and advice. I will be much more cautious next time and I think I will invest in a big bucket for the primary fermentation process. In the mean time I have to go and get busy with my paint brush and roller!
Cheers!

Back