Potential yeast problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantari

Reaction score
Well I planned to brew later this week, so I wanted to start a yeast starter today.

I got all the stuff out, and I boiled the water for the starter (1.5 cups), and poured it into my flask. I forgot to let the water cool, and probably added the yeast about 2-3 minutes or so after I poured the boiling water into my beaker, after I added one room temperature malta bottle into it. Added 2 more after that.

So I was just wondering if my yeast will be ok or if I added them while it was much too hot and did any harm to them. Thanks.

Yikes! I guess you'll know if they're ok if the starter takes off. If the water was boiling hot, you may have killed them. Nice. Right before Christmas and you take out a yeast colony. Just kidding. Hope it works out for you. :mug:

hehe, yah well I did add a Malta to the water first which was probably about 70 degrees which was 2/3 the volume of the boiling water, so I'm guessing the temp was maybe around 120 degrees maybe or less after the pouring and mixing. Is that hot enough to kill the yeast?

Edit: I am getting bubbling on the stir plate so hope that is a good sign

120 might be ok. Like I said, if the starter takes off, you should be in the clear!

Back