White Labs: Best Before Date

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
Just brewed a Bavarian Bock OG 1.061, The yeast was White Labs American Lager, i think, I will get back to y'all on that. The best before date was in early August. Currently fermenting at 55*F. No activity in the air lock, but I know that does not indicate that there is a lack of fermentation. Should I worry about the best before date?

With a lager, if you didn't make a huge starter, you may have a very long lag time, particularly with old yeast.

Mr malty's pitching calculator says that for that size lager, you should have pitched a 8.3 liter starter, using a manufacture date of May 1 for the yeast. The yeast is only 11% viable, according to Mr. Malty. I'm not a pitching calcuator type person, usually, I just wanted to see what they said. Generally, I make a big starter and step it up and pitch it when it's done. I've never had a problem with my lagers so far.

Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator

Didja make a starter? If the starter started, then so will the beer.

My lhbs has a past date bin for all the past date yeast. I just bought some that was early august as well...some people on here have even used year out dated yeast.

It's a good practice to do starters if you have any doubts.

But remembeer, fermentation can take up to 72 hours to begin AND airlock bubbling means nothing.

Yep, this is my first Lager. I would think that pitching again would be out of the question. I don't mind waiting, I got a new fridge so it will stay at 55*F throughout fermentation. I have never used a starter , I think I am going to try it out. So that we are clear, a starter is just a mix of yeast and a appropriate amount of water, which allows for a quicker fermentation....

Yep, this is my first Lager. I would think that pitching again would be out of the question. I don't mind waiting, I got a new fridge so it will stay at 55*F throughout fermentation. I have never used a starter , I think I am going to try it out. So that we are clear, a starter is just a mix of yeast and a appropriate amount of water, which allows for a quicker fermentation....

Well, you mix the wort at about 1.040 (so that's like 1 cup DME to a quart of water) and cool it and add the yeast. You are growing yeast, with the intent to get the yeast to reproduce so that it can ferment your beer. It's good to do with any liquid yeast (even though the vials say "pitchable", there really isn't quite enough yeast in there) but in lagers, or in beers over 1.050, or both- it's crucial.

It's not so much for quicker fermentation, although that happens with decreased lag time. It's so that the yeast are not stressed and will produce a better, cleaner, fermentation.

Thanks Yooper, Thanks Revvy, I will let y'all know how it goes

Hey, I owe you some money for the kegs......I'll pick up some yeast at the LHBS and make a 3L starter on my stirplate for ya if you want. Wanna pick it up this weekend? (We're not going out of town anymore....)

I am going to check the gravity today, I will let you know... Want to brew since you are not going out of town?

Sounds good....let me talk to SWMBO and see whats up but it should be doable. If you want me to make that starter just let me know

Back