shipped too much hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tuckferrorists

Reaction score
sorry if i trapped you in here thinking I was shipped an extra 20 lbs of fuggles or something, but I'm doing a harp clone mini mash from ahbs for my wife. I guess they have the pellets prepackaged and i was sent an extra 1/4 oz of mt hood and saaz. I want this to be as close as possible for my wife. I would think it's a sin to just discard the extra. Should i add it to the extra bittering, flavor, or aroma hops, or should I just throw them out?

The recipe calls for 2oz Mt. Hood for bittering
1/2 oz Mt hood and 1/2 oz Saaz for flavor
1/4 oz Mt. Hood and 1/4 oz Saaz for aroma.

Thanks a bunch for the input

Oh the horror of not being able to use all the hops.

Relax. Put the extras in their own separate pill bottles, film canisters, or ziplocks and freeze them. They will be okay for at least a year. It really does take either time or effort to stale out hops. Especially pelletized hops.

Just keep them cold, really cold.

THROW THEM OUT???????

(You're not one of those that if it calls for 1/2 ounce of hops you throw out the other half a pack are you?)

You evil brewer, you! :D

If you're not going to use them in your beer then you put them in a ziplock, squeeze out the air and stick it in the freezer, or if you have a foodzapper bag or whatever it is, you put them in there...

tuckferrorists said:
I wouldn't have thought that a ziplock bag was good enough

It's better than throwing them away. Get a freezer bag or vacuum seal them hops.

cheers to you all for the help. It's a double brew day for me. maybe triple if you can count a 1 gallon batch of edworts apfelwein

Why not just throw the extras in with the aroma hops addition? Your current recipe calls for a 1/2 oz, which isn't really much, all things considered. I personally think that the perceivable difference between 1/2 an ounce and a whole ounce will be negligible. If anything, the beer will smell/taste better. That's just my 2 cents though. :mug:

Stick with the recipe. Bag & freeze the extras. About once a year I'll make a refrigerator ale. I've had as many as seven hops in a batch.

david_42 said:
Stick with the recipe. Bag & freeze the extras. About once a year I'll make a refrigerator ale. I've had as many as seven hops in a batch.

How's that taste? Are the hops complex or is it just a generic bitterness/aroma?

I've been saving all my leftovers for an IPA. I think I've got half oz of about 5 different types and a couple of single oz varieties. We'll see how that turns out soon

I like to play around with small, 1 gallon batches. That's where most of my extras go.

Back