Ya I know dont kill me over this.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Better bottles for aging sours beers in, have you guys done it? I have several B.B. but don't use them much. I left an apple cider in one for almost 3 years and it was fine to my tastes anyways. So I am considering it for a Flanders and was wondering if any of you have done so. I guess what I want to avoid is a high level of acetobacter in it.

I've done 2 Flanders Reds and an Oud Bruin in better bottles. The Flanders were in the carboys for about 10 months. No problem.

If you want to avoid vinegar, don't open it much. You know, if you use the Roeselare you are going to get a bit of it anyway. Don't let that scare you though, its great.

I've went 10 months with 2 different funky beers in Better Bottles without issue, and plan to do it again.

I've got three Flanders (two red, one brown) going in BB's. Another batch was recently bottled and it's awesome; it was in the BB for about 13 months and no problems that I could tell.

So are you guys keeping these better bottles to sours after? I've heard the sour bugs are really hard to get rid of and it's kind of been keeping me away trying to brew one

The BB I have I bought specifically for my lambic solera so yes, it has exclusive use with sours but I have used other fermentors for sours and clean beers interchangeably. There's nothing in sour beer that isn't already all over your house and equipment. If you have PBW/oxyclean, star-san and water you can sufficiently clean fermentors and other equipment. Give it a couple days of oxyclean/pbw soak, rinse well and then hit it with star-san.

Same for me, I bought the BB's specifically for sours. I figured if I was going to have them sitting around for a year or more I didn't want them in glass carboys in case something fell against them, onto them, etc. The BB's are also supposed to have much lower oxygen permeability than buckets.

Back