how to bottle 3 year old lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky_pine

Reaction score
My neighbor just gave me a 5 gallon carboy filled with lambic because he is moving and doesn't have room for it. The label says: Poison Door Kriek, Brewed 5/29/09 pitch lambic blend 8/9/09, Belgian wheat and Belgian lambic blend. It's filled to the top with pellicle on top. I don't have a way to force carbonate it and I'm sure the yeast is dead so how can I bottle carbonate it?

Pitch some yeast into it (I use the EC-1118 champagne yeast) a day or so before you are going to bottle. Then bottle with priming sugar. Lambics are lower carb then other beer.

I saw this thread and thought 'where does this guy live?!?!?!?'

Of course you live in Portland.

If you get the dry champagne or wine yeast just bottle as you normally would and toss in a few dry cells before capping or corking, whichever you are doing. It will be ready to consume in the usual 2-3 weeks.

Can I just rehydrate some champagne yeast and add it to the bottling bucket with priming sugar? It sounds like champagne yeast is the way to go.

TNGabe said:
I saw this thread and thought 'where does this guy live?!?!?!?'

Of course you live in Portland.

Seriously, I was wondering the same thing. Who knows what the guys situation is but I can't imagine giving away a carboy of 3 yr old Lambic.

And yes, send that man no less than a six pack.

He can have it all back if he wants it. He was moving to Sacramento and stopping brewing. I have one of his buddie's phone number and I'll work it out with him. I'm going to give him at least a six pack, if he wants it. I'm thinking about bottling today or tomorrow.

So how's it taste? Sheesh all this talk about bottling and time in the carboy, but no talk about how it tastes. Is it worth bottling at this point, did he make a good lambic or is it screwed up tasting?

ReverseApacheMaster said:
Well if you don't want it I will take it all off your hands...

Don't listen to him, I live in Portland and can trade bourbon barrel brown sour! Nothing personal apache :D

I'm definitely down to trade if this stuff is any good. It smells good, I'll let you know how it tastes. I love Lambics, I'm excited to try this!

Surely the bugs are still alive and floating around in the beer. Why not just add sugar and bottle with no additional yeasts? I'd think it should carb up with its own cultures and some sugar.

Surely the bugs are still alive and floating around in the beer. Why not just add sugar and bottle with no additional yeasts? I'd think it should carb up with its own cultures and some sugar.

How'd you dredge this back up? It's been over a year.

Still, I would love to hear how this ended up. Cool thread.

It could...but it might be very slow. Tossing some yeast in gets it done in a predictable couple of weeks, and with a predictable number of volumes of CO2.

Back