Safale-05 at higher temps - what happens?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xmacro

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has worked with Safale at the upper recommended range (package says the yeast should be fine up to 75F).

I have two beers fermenting right now, around 72F - I checked the temp during active fermentation via fermometer strips on the bucket, it never rose above 73F, and I pitched both after rehydrating the yeast, so it got off to a good start (airlock was bubbling 3 hrs after pitching)

So can anyone tell me if it'll turn out alright, or if the fusel alcohols will be high?

I'm sure it'll be drinkable, but I'm wondering how much benefit I'd see if next time I fermented at 68F

Midwest list manufacturers instructions,& they say US-05's optimal range is 59-71.6F. so 72 ime is right on the money clean. some of my buds say even 74F is still clean with it. Keep the temps down to 72 0r lower,& you're good. My PM pale ale kit at 2 days had a re-hydration problem,but the ale's taste was so clean & fresh it was fenominal!

I have found that higher temps tend to give off a bit of a cidery taste. They mellow slightly over time, but if your temps get REALLY high, you probably will see fusels.

I fermented three batches at the beginning of the summer during a heat wave where my basement temps were 75º+. :( No major problems that I detected. There may have been some fruitiness or esters but it was nothing terrible or off putting.

Oddly enough during that same week I brewed a fourth batch (actually the first of the week) and swamp cooled it just to moderate the temps somewhat. It hovered around 72-75 and it came out VERY estery, almost hefeweizen-like. It may have been something more than temps but I just found it odd that that was the only batch that was managed differently than the others and it came out tasting off to me.

My normal happy temps for US-05 are around 68º.

05 is really a pretty clean fermenting yeast but any time you push the range of yeast you have a greater chance of developing off flavors depending on the beer being made. Temperature control is really one of the most important things to take into account when brewing so IMO you need to place greater consideration on using best practice and develop some sort of control that works for you be it a swamp cooler or fermentation chamber. It is unfortunate that so few new brewers take temperature control and their yeast as an afterthought;)

Back