50A panel circuit breakers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I'll be running 50A into my control panel to power 2 5500W elements, 2 pumps, and all the other bells and whistles. What size circuit breakers are typically used for everything? I've seen 25A and 30A for the elements. Is anything else on the element breakers? If not, I would think the 25A would be big enough. For the pumps, pids, etc, is it better to go with separate smaller breakers or just one 15A breaker?

summerofgeorge said:
I'll be running 50A into my control panel to power 2 5500W elements, 2 pumps, and all the other bells and whistles. What size circuit breakers are typically used for everything? I've seen 25A and 30A for the elements. Is anything else on the element breakers? If not, I would think the 25A would be big enough. For the pumps, pids, etc, is it better to go with separate smaller breakers or just one 15A breaker?

P-J put my diagram together and each element is on a 25A double breaker for 240V and I have another 15A single breaker for 120V items, like a pump, stir motor, etc.

Don't worry P-J. I'll be feeding my panel from the 50A Spa Panel with GFCI protection.

I think I'll go with 2 25A double pole breakers and 2 15A single pole breakers (one for pumps and brewing stuff and one for auxiliary stuff like laptop/cell phone).

I think all of this research is getting to me. I was searching for something else and came across another thread I started a few weeks ago with basically the same question as here. I'm starting to lose it. I can't wait to be past the planning stage and get to the actual building.

Don't worry P-J. I'll be feeding my panel from the 50A Spa Panel with GFCI protection.

I think I'll go with 2 25A double pole breakers and 2 15A single pole breakers (one for pumps and brewing stuff and one for auxiliary stuff like laptop/cell phone).

I think all of this research is getting to me. I was searching for something else and came across another thread I started a few weeks ago with basically the same question as here. I'm starting to lose it. I can't wait to be past the planning stage and get to the actual building.

At 240V, two 5500W elements will put you around 45-46 amps...not that much room left for those auxillary items. Keep that in mind. If you're going to run extra (non-brewery stuff), you might want to drop one of those elements to a 4500W.

jtkratzer - thanks for the reminder. I'm trying to not go too overboard because of the amp limitations but I keep thinking of other cool (but unnecessary) features! I don't plan on doing back to back batches very often but wanted the option. I'll just have to make sure I don't overload the system when I do 2 batches. The best way would be to wire it up so the auxiliary outlet is only available when only 1 element is on. I think I'll leave this out entirely until I get things up and running. I'll be brewing in the garage so it's not like I won't have other outlets to power the non-brewing stuff.

summerofgeorge said:
jtkratzer - thanks for the reminder. I'm trying to not go too overboard because of the amp limitations but I keep thinking of other cool (but unnecessary) features! I don't plan on doing back to back batches very often but wanted the option. I'll just have to make sure I don't overload the system when I do 2 batches. The best way would be to wire it up so the auxiliary outlet is only available when only 1 element is on. I think I'll leave this out entirely until I get things up and running. I'll be brewing in the garage so it's not like I won't have other outlets to power the non-brewing stuff.

I wanted to be able to heat strike water in my BK and water in the HLT for the HERMS coil at the same time.

Back