Weyerbacher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Anyone else love these guys? Can't wait to get to their table at the World Beer Festival. The Heresy is incredible...

I've had the Old Heathen and the Hops Infusion. I really enjoyed the Old Heathen but thought the Hops Infusion was a bit of a let down. I was expecting it to be much hoppier than it was. Turned out to just be a pretty standard IPA, good but not great.

I've had the Insanity, which I personally did not care for only because I'm not a fan of big, sweet barleywines (I though it was more of an oaked IIPA, not an oaked barleywine). I think I had the Hops Fusion, but I can't recall too much about it.

Interesting comment ...I've only had Insanity on draught and it was definitely not hoppy/IPA-esque. Blithering Idiot (insanity minus the oak aging) is a decent but not a mindblowing barleywine. I feel the same about their Merry Monks, Black Hole and Heathen to a degree, all decent reps of the style. Hops Infusion is kinda hit or miss.

The Double Simcoe, Imperial Pumpkin, ESB and Scotch ale are my favorites.

brewt00l said:
Interesting comment ...I've only had Insanity on draught and it was definitely not hoppy/IPA-esque.

Well... as I said, I *thought* it was going to be more of an IPA, but it's an oaked barleywine (it's the oaked Blithering Idiot, IIRC). The bottle gives no indication ("Oaked Ale"), so that was just my guess based on the aggressive graphics. So, my disappointment had nothing to do with the beer itself, but with the packaging that gave me no indication what it was that I was buying.

the_bird said:
Well... as I said, I *thought* it was going to be more of an IPA, but it's an oaked barleywine (it's the oaked Blithering Idiot, IIRC). The bottle gives no indication ("Oaked Ale"), so that was just my guess based on the aggressive graphics. So, my disappointment had nothing to do with the beer itself, but with the packaging that gave me no indication what it was that I was buying.

ahhhhh...I dig. I have had the same thing where you pour out a glass expecting one thing and taste something completely different and you have to do a double take/WTF :)

brewt00l said:
The Double Simcoe, Imperial Pumpkin, ESB and Scotch ale are my favorites.
I've liked some of their beers, but when I tried their imperial pumpkin I could have sworn I was drinking liquid pumpkin pie potpourri - the spices were completely overwhelming. It ruined everything else I tried to drink that night, I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something... :drunk:

Funkenjäger said:
I've liked some of their beers, but when I tried their imperial pumpkin I could have sworn I was drinking liquid pumpkin pie potpourri - the spices were completely overwhelming. It ruined everything else I tried to drink that night, I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. Maybe I got a bad bottle or something... :drunk:

This year or a previous? I understand that the exact recipe changes but have also heard that this years batch is pretty tasty. The only one I have had this season so far is Southampton's.

It was this year, pretty much right when it hit the shelves here. Maybe I'm just crazy, but all my friends who tried it agreed (maybe we're all crazy)...

I tried one of their variety packs. It was good beer all in all, but I wasn't too impressed with it. Actually, the one beer (can't recall which one in the pack) I only had one or two and it gave me a headache. Plus if you bottle the labels REALLY suck to get off.

Back