What did I make

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer3401

Reaction score
15.0 # maris otter
3.0 # aromatic
0.7 # carapils dextrine
abv estimated 5.50 %

Hopped with Hallertau Hersbrucker to achieve 24 ibu's.

Fermented with US-56 at 62 F, raised to 70 F for diacetyl rest.

I was looking to make something "safe" for others to drink for Christmas. This is a test batch - if it's good, I'm going to crank the abv to around 7.50%

Anyone know what style this would represent ?

Belgian pale with rogue hops (all German).

Yes, if you leave out the aromatic, it would be a Blonde Ale. That's one of my standard brews (for the BMC people).

I just kegged last night. Have @ 30 psi. Will keep there for 2 days, then drop to maintenance pressure. I'll let you what it tastes like. (will sneak a little tonight, as it will be about 40% carbonated)

The grainbill is similar to a Belgian pale ale, but that is a clean yeast -- it is going to lack the characteristic spicy, estery flavours of a Belgian.

Brewsmith said:
What size brew is this?

Pale Ale
Blonde Ale

Check out the beer styles in the wiki
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Category:Beer_Styles

I use ProMash, and use 8.30 gallons. I lose 2.30 gallons in the kettle, and 1.00 gallons in primary & brite tank, resulting in just a tad over 5.00 gallons in the keg.

I just tasted - 24 hours @ 30 psi = about half way there. It's a little thin, considering mashing at 152 F with maris otter and 3.00 # aromatic (correction, used 2.50 # aromatic).

This is my blonde ale recipe with more aromatic. The blonde ale is sweeter, and really nice, especially for BMC people (unless they drink the lite crap, then they say it's WAY too strong..........wussies.)

2 days @ 30 psi @ 36 F. Just about right.

Beer is a LOT lighter than I thought. Has a clean, crisp taste. I was trying to get closer to an Oktoberfest. Very good, but I missed the mark. Oh well, will just have to drink it when it's ready - cold condition for 3 weeks or so.

Back