circut breakers "C" or "D" trip curve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mateomtb

Reaction score
For a DIN rail inside my control panel, I see at various parts sources like automation direct they have breakers as "c" or "d" trip curve. Are pumps or elements considered a high or low inrush in this application? The term control circuits and coils jumps out at me as first choice but?? I have 5500w elements and march pumps.

From the WMZT specs

Type C trip curve: 5 to10 In
C-curve devices are suitable for applications where medium levels of inrush current are expected. Applications include small transformers, lighting, pilot devices, control circuits and coils. C-curve devices provide a medium magnetic trip point.
Type D trip curve: 10 to 20 In
D-curve devices are suitable for applications where high levels of inrush current are expected. The high magnetic trip point prevents nuisance tripping in high inductive applications such as motors, transformers and power supplies.

The typical brewery does not have any inductive loads to speak of. "b" curve breakers are more than adaquate for our needs. Even the pumps have such a low amp draw at start up that it does not matter. Go for "b" curve.

Thanks, the terms you just used helped look some stuff up and I have a better understanding of how those numbers relate in the specs.

Back