Beginner Smoker?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foyt20

Reaction score
Anyone have an opinion for a new smoker? I found THIS at walmart, but am also just thinking of making a terracotta or trashcan smoker. But, I need a grill at the moment, so this would be a plus also.

Any thoughts? Getting hurt at rugby has really opened me up to some new hobbies with all this time i have.

I just started smoking but I really like my weber smoky mountain smoker alot. It hold temps great and the 18.5 has enough room for a ton of meat.

Google virtual bullet for a great website dedicated to the WSM.

The main issue with that unit is that the thin gauge steel construction makes it difficult to maintain a consistent temperature. You can lay some fire bricks in the bottom of the smoking chamber to help even out the temp swings.

arturo7 said:
The main issue with that unit is that the thin gauge steel construction makes it difficult to maintain a consistent temperature. You can lay some fire bricks in the bottom of the smoking chamber to help even out the temp swings.

Agree but also the thing has so many holes its difficult to maintain temps on breezy days. It will work and make great food but requires some work. Also there are some mods you can try to help regulate heat and smoke flow.

Weber Smokey Mountain

You will cook at the same temps without touching it every single time. It doesnt get easier. No worry about managing your fire or anything, it just works.

Well I'll have to disagree with atutp and kapbrew there. Saturday night was pretty breezy here when I fired the smoker up at 1AM. I got the smoker setup and going around 215 per the gauge. I check it before going to bed at 230 and it was fine. I didn't get up till 8AM and the temp was right around 200. A quick adjustment and within 30 minutes I was right around 225. I might have only 4 smokes on it and it is my first smoker but so far I love it.

building a White Trash Smoker... should be fun. I've used my propane grill with the meat on one side and a burner on the other side on but the meat needs flipped too often.

ClassicXJ said:
Well I'll have to disagree with atutp and kapbrew there. Saturday night was pretty breezy here when I fired the smoker up at 1AM. I got the smoker setup and going around 215 per the gauge. I check it before going to bed at 230 and it was fine. I didn't get up till 8AM and the temp was right around 200. A quick adjustment and within 30 minutes I was right around 225. I might have only 4 smokes on it and it is my first smoker but so far I love it.

How much lump charcoal did you use for this smoke?

For about the same price or a little more you could build a UDS and it will out perform the hell out of any COS.

+1 on the UDS. I don't know how I ever went so long without one. Mine holds the temp steady for hours. Dataz722 had made up some great kits to simplify the build process (while making it a little cheaper too), If he still has them all you'd need is a drum.

Back