Are My Hops Deaderoonies?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekasbury

Reaction score
Hey,

I live in Denver, planted 4 rhizomes last year - 2 Cascades, a Galena and a Mt Hood. The Galenda did gangbusters, relatively, during the 1st year. The Mt. Hood, not so much and the Cascades were the same. As of about a week ago, the Galena is blowing up out there. It's already 2 or so ft off the ground. The Mt Hood is also alive and thriving. But, no sign of anything from the Cascades. How do I know if they're dead? I fear I may have missed my window to get replacement rhizomes, but if not, I'd like to get something new in the ground before I miss out on the growing season. Is it normal that some varieties would take off sooner than others? Is there a maneuver I can do to verify if my Cascades are still alive and kicking?

Thanks!

- Elliott

Most of mine just sprouted today. I am in Aurora. If you need to trade for some more Cascades, I can probably set you up. I have Centennial if you want any.

There's a chance the Cascades were planted a little deeper which would account for the others showing first. As was said, give them a week or two. You still have plenty of time to to get some more in the ground if they don't show - I kinda doubt if you'll have to replant though.

Worse case scenario- dig it up. First start slow dig by hand look for any sprouts. If you see no sprouts get a shovel. If you find a rhizome or crown your fine.

I had a nugget die on me when I went to dig it up I found nothing. I think it composted in the ground. Like Obi Wan it just dissappeared.

I honestly agree with the other guys. Leave it alone. But if you can't sleep at night -go find it. :)

Wait and watch. I don't have Cascades, but Goldings with buds several inches long, Northern Brewers and Nuggets with buds at most an inch long, and Centennials, Perles, & Willamettes with only buds. It's early. Trust the plant.

Also, I let curiosity get the best of me last year and went digging in what I thought was a careful fashion, only to break off the buds on a Mount Hood. It died. If your plant is alive, it will grow if given half a chance, and will do better unmolested. If it's dead, you are wasting your time digging anyway. If it doesn't grow in a couple of weeks, there is still time to purchase and plant another rhizome.

Back