Pepper/spicy beer recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s2cmpugh

Reaction score
Hey everyone. What do you guys think about my pepper/spicy beer recipe?

6 lbs. of extra light DME
WLP001 California ale yeast
1 oz. of Centennial hops at 60 mins.
1 oz. of Saaz at 15 mins.
Also at 15 mins., add about 5 jalepenos.

Boil using the late addition method, ferment for 2 weeks in primary, then transfer into secondary on top of 3 jalepenos soaked in vodka for one week.

What do you guys think? I'm going for a light, crisp, slightly hoppy beer with great aroma.

Should I do any specialty grains?

Thanks,
Cris P.

I did similar strategy with 3 in the boil and 1 in the ferment for 3 gallons. Its not as jalapeno tasting as I hoped but its there. So I think you'll be good.

Steep some cara-pils (0.5 lb) or add some maltodextrin (6oz) so it has some body, otherwise it'll be pretty 1 dimensional. A little mouth-feel goes a long way, even with a light beer.

Lesson learned from my own experiments with pepper beer - Once you rack onto the peppers - sample at a minimum every day. Once you get to the heat profile you want, you HAVE to rack off the peppers or remove the peppers... I didn't my first batch. The BJCP comment cards all went something like: "The heat lingers..." or "Tough to determine the hop profile after the intense blast of heat..."

Thanks for the help everyone. How about steeping 8 oz. of Crystal 10 or Crystal 20?

Are my hop choices good?

Thanks,
Cris

Back