Yeast cake for stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarsophist

Reaction score
I have a Saison that has been in primary for four weeks. It got to 1.020 in three weeks. I swirled it around and moved it to a warmer room, about 78 degrees, but it stayed at 1.020 and did nothing for a week. I used WLP 568 Saison blend. I don't have any dry yeast around, but I have a Belgian pale ale that is about ready to bottle. That one has Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong. I am thinking about bottling the pale ale, removing some of the yeast cake and then putting the Saison on the remainder. Has anyone tried this for a stuck fermentation? What do you folks think? Would it work?

I am a newbie. The Saison is my fourth batch.

Thanks,

John

Ok, I did it. I bottled the Belgian pale ale and then siphoned the Saison onto the yeast cake, which really wasn't all that much so I left it all there. This morning, the Saison is bubbling in the lock, so I guess it worked. WLP 568 is a blend anyway, so I guess I just added another yeast to the blend, and some more flavors to the final result.

John

Fermentation started up right away, and it finished pretty dry. Did it taste like a Saison Dupont? Well, not exactly. Actually not even close. But it wasn't bad. It's all gone now I think.

Sounds like the only thing I can do to save an APA. Was planning on racking it on to the cake of an english IPA. At least the two are quite similiar.
Cheers for the advice Guitarsophist and happy brewing!

I stick with 3711 for a saison... I've heard plenty of stickys using other yeast... do you have some us-05 dry? may help.... get things back down (cheap dry try) other wise bottle and enjoy a slightly sweet/malty but not too much saison.

did you ferment warm? Saison yeasts like warm primary?

When is it time to give up on fermentation on a wash? I have a wash with 16lbs of sugar and WLP-099 yeast. 48 hrs later no signs of fermentation so i added 135g/4.8oz of Liquor Quik Super Yeast X-press. I think my wife may have cleaned my lid to the ferment bucket with bleach water and contaminated the wash

Back