round bottom co2 tank

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
welding shop i do biz with set me up with a tank(filled 5#) and a regulator(very used) for next to nothing. the tank is cigar shaped with no flat bottom. is this normal?. every thing is wore pretty good but this guy is very legit.

I don't think this is "normal" for the use of home brewing. It is probably a tank that was designed to sit in some kind of basket in, say, a welding truck or some kind of portable welder. If it holds gas though, who cares. It might just be a pain in the a$@ to put in the fridge as is will have to lay sideways...unless you build a stand for it. Good luck.

Did a quick search and found This.

xxGetImage.jpg

EDIT: The only references I could find to round bottom compressed gas cylinders was in the SCUBA and Hazmat breathing devices. Maybe you were given an old SCUBA tank and not a dedicated CO2 tank.

thanks for the info. made a holder out of some lightweight tubing and a some small brake rotor. i going forward and complete the set up(cornys,poney tap)
it just seemed so different that i thought i would run by you guys, to get some feedback.

definitely don't use the tank sideways as you will siphon liquid co2 into the regulator, essentially freezing it.

what can you tell about the numbers on it. e85427. there are others but this one is circled with a black marker. the tank has what looks like the original sticker, co2
carbon dioxide.

look for and post the other numbers. one should be a DOTxxxxx or something like that, and the other should have a month and date, separated by symbols, this is the test date. it sounds like your cylinder is old, so it should have multiple test dates, look for the most recent one. it should be in test since it was sold to you by a welding supply shop.

Back