Questions about ph Meter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have well water and I think my water chemistry is wreaking havoc with my efficiency. I have ph test strips but they are pretty much worhtless so I am looking at a ph meter.. If I get a single point calibration meter, which buffer solution should I get? The 7.1? I dont know much about ph Meters or have any idea how to calibrate it but I am guessing with a single point calibration meter, I only need one buffer solution?

I have a Hanna meter and just the one calibration solution for 7.0 I think it is. Seems to be fine. I have service water though so I imagine it's pretty stable but I quit bothering with it once I was comfotable that the pH was always pretty much where it should be.

This will make ya laugh, I use a Koi fish pond water kit's Ph meter, the darn kit cost $134 seven years ago. It tests the water down to a ph of 5.0 and for something like 7 different tests and chemicals besides the O2 content. I gave up playing with it on the fish and brewing after a couple years and use the well water as the well is 7' away from the pond plus the water has the perfect Ph and temperature for the Koi. Some of the fish have been around when I was a kid now i'm a 56 year old kid, must be doing something right for their health. For brewing I lower the Ph with my little cap, one cap per/5 gallon batch, 3 caps for 15 gallons. Straight and simple.
I would ask your water district for a report on the water they serve to you, it should be rather elaborate. The crap in my tap water will kill the Koi and tropical fish hence brewing with natural, fresh rare "islander water".

Not saying a pH meter isn't useful (for measuring mash pH), but have you considered sending a water sample to Ward Labs? They'll tell you all the minerals you need for brewing purposes plus pH for $16.50.

I would ask your water district for a report on the water they serve to you, it should be rather elaborate. The crap in my tap water will kill the Koi and tropical fish hence brewing with natural, fresh rare "islander water".

I have well water so I guess I need to bring it in for a test

Back