My first ever English style Roast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Well, I don't mean the first one I've eaten, Duh! I mean the first one I ever cooked! :)

It's all Orfy's fault. He caught me bitching unfairly about my missus never cooking a roast the way I like it, and suggested I cook the bloody thing myself. He was correct, of course, and it has been nagging me for a couple of months. This weekend I finally bit the bullet and did it.

Now, a little background info. I can't cook to save my life. Never really had to try. I can do a mean BBQ steak and jacket potatos or an omelette, but after that, zilch, nada, nothing.......There's nothing wrong with wifey's cooking, it's just that every once in a while I start to miss the kind of thing I grew up with. That was the main reason for taking up brewing, and now that motivation has passed to cooking for the first time.

It turned out pretty good for a first attempt. Not as good as Dad would have cooked, but better than my Mother's (The poor old sod never could cook. She was a school dinner lady for a while) The yorkshire puddings turned out a bit dark, and the potatos were a bit under done for my tastes. I also had to halve the joint and cook wifey's portion longer cos' she don't like the pink.

I think I pissed wifey off a bit for several reasons:
A) I enjoyed it too much and couldn't hide my delight at eating it. (I guess I should start praising her food more)
B) I cleaned up after myself at every opportunity and left no clearing up to be done after dinner (Made her look bad)
C) I never once had to ask for her help with anything (She does that to me all the time, peel thos for me? wash that?)
D) I was drinking homebrew during the whole process and got a tiny bit smashed.

Here it is. Not very well presented, a bit mono-brown, and lacking in veggie varitety. (I was trying to not complicate matters too much)

beefju1.jpg

Oh, well beg parden. :rolleyes:

I love mushy peas and my own vegetarian "roast" (muhwahahahaaa!) and yorkshire pudding with a caramelized onion gravy.

Or homemade vegetarian bangers...

heheheee! gross you out yet?

Oh and looks pretty good (in a carnivorous way... :rolleyes:) for your first time round.

Keep cooking! If you want something done right...

Watch for the vegetarian haggis... :fro:

Never tried making Yorkshire puddings. I did your basic pot roast Saturday. First one I've done since moving to Oregon. One thing I have trouble remembering, the potatoes take twice as long to cook as the recipe says. While it was cooking I got hungry enough to take a portion out of the pot & microwaved the spuds.

Much better the second day.

Very nice LG. :mug: I do miss me mum's Yorshire pudding and her dumplings. Now you've inspired me to make something I can have the puddings with. Very nice indeed.

Sorry to see someone pee'd on your plate. Dirty bastahds! ;)

Well done.
Beef and gravy looks good.

Par boil the spuds and rough them up in a colander first then they will turn out well.
The yorkshires look good.

It's 06:34 and I can just about taste it.

Very nice. I think I may make a nice roast on my next weekend off.
Roast in oven... brew on patio... should smell wonderful. :tank:

Oh my god...that looks amazing...not bad for a cooking N00b....If I ever make it down your way wouldja cook it for me???

I don't think you want to eat that, Revvy. Gnomes are notorious for poisoning people. It's probably just plastic food!

I can now confirm (Because she told me this week) That wifey was indeed put off by my wonderful success. Or as she put it "You were way too full of yourself."

Now that I know how to gain power over her, my next plan is to invade HER hobby of sewing. When she sees that I can make my own dresses, and how absolutely devine I loook in them.......Well, she will be sooooooo mad at me!! :D

Back on topic for a moment. My SWMBO has this aversion to 'big honking pieces of meat." (which probably explains why she married me, an Irishman.) She'll eat steak, or steak tips, etc, but put a roast in the oven and she's chopping up a head of lettuce and calling it quits. So since I'm a good guy and feel bad when that happens I rarely cook something like that. Oh, but last week I got a 4 lb pot roast and braised it in beef stock and red wine with 5 large onions a turnip, and some small potatos for about 4 hours. It fell apart if you looked at it hard. A loaf of crusty bread and I was in heaven. Mmmmmm. I think I'll take the last of it to work tonight.

PTN

Don't let her see your meat! Not until you've cooked it yourself and sliced it really thin and given her a tiny portion.....yes, I'm still talking about food here. ;)

Don't let her see your meat! Not until you've cooked it yourself and sliced it really thin and given her a tiny portion.....yes, I'm still talking about food here. ;)

Oh, thank God. I thought for a moment there that she talked about our wedding night. She promised me she'd cut me some slack.

Back