Which to choose for mash tun..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korben

Reaction score
Now, that I have decided I am completely obsessed with brewing... Note I only have 1 beer completed and another in primary, but I love everything about this hobby. My first brew was a big hit and well I just wanna continue... So I was thinking about making the jump to all grain. I got a keggle and a nice propane burner. I was looking into a nice mash tun I was thinking about a 10 gal tun since I will probably stay with 5 gallon batches. I have seen on here that the 10 up-right water cooler type is popular and the ice chest type model is also popular. What is the advantage of each and which do you prefer...

PS. I tried to search and really couldn't find a good comparison...

I started a thread on this a while back and got different answers. Mostly it seemed a matter of personal opinion. The square coolers are usually cheaper, the round ones provide a deeper grain bed which filters better, guys who use the round ones seem to think they hold their heat better, but the square users report that theirs are just as effective in retaining the heat. The square ones are available in larger sizes and are better for larger batches or bigger beers that will have a larger grain bill....the bottom line is, both are used equally as often and they are both effective. Personally, I went with a square cooler, because it was a lot cheaper and easier to build the manifold in the bottom (if you are going with a SS braid for a filter it doesn't matter). I also like how easy it is to stir at dough-in. Hope this helps. whichever one you choose, you will be happy with it.

I do not use a cooler, but if I did I would go with a round cooler with a false bottom. Just seems the easiest to me and I have an inexplicable dislike of manifolds. I would look at the Pol's system if I were you.

I have a 70qt Coleman Xtreme with a Bazooka Screen and I love it. I have done 4 AG batches so far and no stuck sparge and pretty good efficiency (75%) so far.

Just seems the easiest to me and I have an inexplicable dislike of manifolds.

I wouldn't call it inexplicable. I have a slotted copper manifold that for the last 3 brew sessions has been falling apart in the mash. Apparently, as the water heats the copper, it expands and the slip joints slip apart. When this happens, grain fills the tubes and it more or less fails to be useful as a manifold.

I'll be soldering it together soon, as it's fine otherwise. Well, most of the joints, anyway. But just as a reference point...

I do not use a cooler, but if I did I would go with a round cooler with a false bottom. Just seems the easiest to me and I have an inexplicable dislike of manifolds. I would look at the Pol's system if I were you.

Tried to find it.. but could not find the exact thread. Found lots of things buy the pol though...

How does the stainless steel braid do for a manifold/filter..

Back