Busted smack pack, now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shecky

Just an old guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just smacked the yeast pack for this afternoon's brew and it exploded all over me. I smell funky. Not all of it ejected, so I figure go ahead and use and re-pitch if need be in a few days.

Yes or no?

Case study: Why to always have dry yeast handy as a backup.

Salvage what you can in a starter, delay brewing until the starter is ready if you can.

Case study: Why to always have dry yeast handy as a backup.

Salvage what you can in a starter, delay brewing until the starter is ready if you can.
Looks like I might have to do that as the brewing gods are conspiring against me.

First the yeast. Second part, got mash water from the tap and it's brown with little water pressure. It's a sure indication that the hydrants are being flushed. So, now brewing today.

The next question: how to make a starter with spare DME hanging around. I have a small amount of bottled spring water to make the starter. How do I do it? How long can I sit on it? I don't think I'll be able to get to brewing until a few more days.

Do I have options or should I just chalk it up as a loss and get another pack of yeast (along with some dry) when I'm ready?

Thanks.

I just boil up 2 cups water and 1/2 cup of DME cool shake and pitch the yeast. Give a good swirl every few hours and let her rip. The starter will be ok for a while at room temp its just a small batch of beer.If it will be a long time before you brew just refrigerate the starter after its done . When your ready to brew just warm it decant the liquid and pitch

I just boil up 2 cups water and 1/2 cup of DME cool shake and pitch the yeast. Give a good swirl every few hours and let her rip. The starter will be ok for a while at room temp its just a small batch of beer.If it will be a long time before you brew just refrigerate the starter after its done . When your ready to brew just warm it decant the liquid and pitch
Thanks. What's awhile? I maybe could brew in the next couple of days, or it might not be until Friday. I guess if it's too long I could put the starter in the fridge, but how long will that last?

EDIT: Question answered. Thanks muchly.

I have let it sit 2-3 days at room temp never had a problem. It will last a good long time in the frige if proper sanitation is used. I let one sit for 3 weeks in the frige it worked fine.

Back