Another High FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeder212

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew. It was an AG Dry Stout. My OG was high at 1.059. I let it sit in the primary for 3 weeks at 62 degrees, and today the FG was 1.030. Don't know if I should have bottled, but I did anyway. During this brew I made a few mistakes, but nothing too bad. I'm sure the high FG has a little to do with my high mash temp. (158), but shouldn't it have finished a lot lower? Another mistake I made was I didn't check the gravity for a couple of days to make sure it was finished. Today, when I bottled was the first time I took the lid off the bucket since it went on. I guess I just figured that after 3 weeks it should have been done. Any advice on what to do next time this happens? I'm just gonna let this one bump in the bottles for a few weeks, it tasted pretty good, just flat at bottling time.

I feel your pain. This has been a problem for me on and off over the years. The standard advice to avoid this on brew day is 1) lots of healthy yeast, and 2) lots or aeration. I have since bought myself an aeration stone and a bottle of oxygen from the hardware store. I never had a problem since.

The best way I have fixed my stuck fermentation in the past was to go buy more yeast, make a starter in a 1/2 gallon jug, and dump it in after 24 hours. This has worked for me every time. Good luck and enjoy your overly sweet stout :)

That high mash temp is easy to fix. Next time heat your strike water to 5 degrees over the strike temperature. Put your strike water in the tun first before the grains and put the cover on (to preheat the tun). Let it sit 5 minutes to normalize the temperature. Take the cover off after the 5 minutes and stir well while observing the temperature. It should have dropped down to near or at the strike temperature. While stiring if the temp is within 1 degree then dump in the grains while stirring. Put the cover on and in 5 to 7 minutes then you can stir and check the temperature again and it should be spot on. Replace the cover. Do not look at the mash again until mashing time has elapsed or you will let out some heat.

Note: For all this to work properly your calculations for the strike water temperature and water volume and grain volume must be current for this batch. I use Beersmith and it works well.

Truthfully I would be scared to even touch a bottle that was bottled at 1.030. I would be too scared it would blow up in my hand. Put em in a tote and tie the lid on.

So how long do I have until they go to blowing? Could I dump them all back into the primary, and re-pitch some dry yeast?

Back