What to do with crappy wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktar

Reaction score
I just bottled 2 gallons of very sweet blueberry wine. Final abv is 14.9%. I hate it, but I don't want to throw it out because that's against the rules. What can I do with this stuff? I don't know anyone who likes this type of wine. It is very young and I know it hasn't aged properly yet, but it's always going to be sweet. What do you think? Sangria? Moonshine? Port? Etc?

I made some wine that tasted terrible so I put it in the crawlspace under my house and forgot it for two years. Gave a guy a bottle and he said it was delicious so I tried one. He was right. Oh what a difference two years made.

how long has it been since the start of fermentation. if its 14.9% like you say it is I would just stash it away for couple years.

I recently did same thing. I didn't pay attention to SG and super-sweetened it. So, I cut the young wine with unsweetened, fresh juice and let it ferment out. Now, instead of disgustingly sweet, it is merely not-offensive. It's still kind of raw, but a few years will improve it. The OG minus FG is off the chart, so, at least I'll have alcohol.

Honda88 said:
how long has it been since the start of fermentation. if its 14.9% like you say it is I would just stash it away for couple years.

I brewed it back in June. I think it still going to taste sickly sweet in 2 years but maybe it's worth a try.

Could it be used for cooking? Maybe try to think of a good mixed drink to put it in - exclusive recipe!?

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Freeze it and pour off what won't. Put in a jar and use as needed.

Do you mean put the alcohol that doesn't freeze Ina jar? Would the ice and alcohol separate that easily? Would this have flavour? Or would it be like a vodka?

Simple science. Use a two liter plastic to freeze and what wont will drain right off. Usually tastes better and not like vodka but more like a brandy.

oogaboogachiefwalkingdeer said:
Simple science. Use a two liter plastic to freeze and what wont will drain right off. Usually tastes better and not like vodka but more like a brandy.

Nice, very nice!
I've been pretending to kill fire ants with mine.

Depends on your FG If its too high add some apple juice and good yeast starter, should restart a stuck fermentation. I had a batch I backsweetened too much and added sorbate so the fermentation was not an option. I froze about half for 2 days the tipped the block of ice into a strainer and let it drip till drips ran clear. It was still sweet but 26%. Mixed drinks.
The rest I cut with some dry wine I got from the store( cheating I know) but it tasted good

I think I'll try freeze concentration. Sweet for a wine is bad but maybe it'll make a good liqueur.

If it's only been since June then you should let it age for 6 months to a year. I started my first blueberry last week, and everyone I've talked to has said the taste will improve in 6 months, and if I can wait it will be even better after a year. So put that stuff away, forget about it for a year and drink it up.

cmiller356 said:
If it's only been since June then you should let it age for 6 months to a year. I started my first blueberry last week, and everyone I've talked to has said the taste will improve in 6 months, and if I can wait it will be even better after a year. So put that stuff away, forget about it for a year and drink it up.

I thought about this too but I don't think aging will do a lot for sweet. I think it'll still taste sickly sweet in a year. I guess its worth putting a few away just to see how it improves.

Make great marinade ,if have need to use instantly. Will be great in a couple of years after U get it from under the crawl space!

I thought about this too but I don't think aging will do a lot for sweet. I think it'll still taste sickly sweet in a year. I guess its worth putting a few away just to see how it improves.

It's always worth it. I've had a super sweet mead that mellowed out after 7 months, but I think that's a whole different monster. Aging is always going to help improve the flavor, but the real question is exactly how long can you age it to help rid of the sickly sweet taste and it still be a sweet blueberry wine while keeping it from ruining as it ages. That question I have no idea how to answer, or even know if there is a way to do such.

Wjth a blueberry wine if you add lemon juice it will cut the sweetness and add a little acid bite Also the citric acid in lemon juice will bring out the berry flavor a little more

Latest posts

Back