Mad Yeast Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DisturbdChemist

I'm drunk 60% of the time, all the time!
Reaction score
Last weekend me and my friend were brewing a few beers in my garage. Me an IPA and him a german pale ale. Late last year i had my first Cantillon (gueze to be exact) and absolutely loved it (currently planning to hunt some down). I had this crazy idea of creating my own wild ale with the bugs in my own garage. :ban: After mashing both of our beers I did a party guile style with the spent grain. I just threw the grains into a pot of 180F water and let them sit for a 20 minutes or so. I also through the used hop bag from my beer into the water. Delicious hop water.. yum.

I did no boil with this batch. I heated the water to 210F to kill off any bugs that might of been on the grains. I placed the wort over in a corner and covered it with a mesh bag to keep the flies out of it and let cool overnight. I took a sample and let cool in my kitchen to get a OG. The OG is 1.030, I'm happy with that especially for a party guile.

Next morning, (approx. 14hrs) I placed it in a closed container and was playing the waiting game. Until I got home this afternoon :ban:

This is what i saw :D
IMAG1026.jpg

and took this a few hours later :ban:
IMAG1027.jpg

I cant wait to see how this turns out and if I can a house yeast out of this experiment. Will keep you posted on the process. :rockin:

Cheers! :mug:

That is fantastic. I hope to god that you get something good out of it.
Good luck bro

Very cool, how does it smell?

Smells funky right now. Got a lot of carbon dioxide burn but there is a funkiness to it.

Also on yeast wise. I successfully got some Jester King dreges with their sour bugs fermenting in a yeast starter. Going to step up one more time and going to add it to a simple saison recipe. Another one I can't wait for

Smells funky right now. Got a lot of carbon dioxide burn but there is a funkiness to it.

Also on yeast wise. I successfully got some Jester King dreges with their sour bugs fermenting in a yeast starter. Going to step up one more time and going to add it to a simple saison recipe. Another one I can't wait for

Give it a few batches, and let it age. I left a glass out, it developed a layer of yeast sediment, so I stepped it up a few times. I brewed a wheat based recipe with it, and stuck it in the basement. At first it was really earthy funky, now some interesting fruited notes are coming through, and I really like it. It finished out at 1.000.

I pitched a bunch of the slurry into a brown on sunday, which is 20% munich. When I opened the jar, it fizzed a little.

I'm letting this one go with no temp control. It peaked at 75° internally yesterday.

Post your results. Hope it's good.
ForumRunner_20130206_195842.jpg

I'm planning to let this sit until it taste good or I'm happy with it. Though I don't have a basement in Texas lol. I'm not touching it until then. I'm going to try/update this as it goes on and might do other batches later on.

With the jester king dreges, I'm adding them as soon as I brew that batch. Probably next month some time. I'm happy to see this ferment in the flask. I definitely want to leave these for a good while to develop.

I'm planning to let this sit until it taste good or I'm happy with it. Though I don't have a basement in Texas lol. I'm not touching it until then. I'm going to try/update this as it goes on and might do other batches later on.

With the jester king dreges, I'm adding them as soon as I brew that batch. Probably next month some time. I'm happy to see this ferment in the flask. I definitely want to leave these for a good while to develop.

Awesome to hear about the JK dregs! I've got a pretty big culture now from the dregs of Das Wunderkind. Planning on doing a low gravity Saison with it soon.

I got one Das wondering left in the cellar and can get some more if the store still has some. I got them from Buddha's brew which is a good light sour. I just left the left overs and said F-it and made a starter. I'm happy it took off. It took a while to start showing signs.

I'm going to do it for another beers I like to get the yeast out of.,

I cultured some Buddhas too, had a huge nasty pellicle. It went into my 100% Brett Berliner. One thing to keep in mind is the kombucha culture in the beer will eventually add high levels of acetic acid.

When i do add it to a beer i'll keep an eye on it so it wont turn into vinegar. If it does, i have a life time worth of vinegar i can use for cooking :mug:

Pellicle is my friend. Definitely going to make a few lambic/sours this year.

I have used buddas brew dregs in quick sours with no ill effect. I would recommend adding it after the sacc has done all it can to be sure the kombucha doesn't get to eat for too long.

I have used buddas brew dregs in quick sours with no ill effect. I would recommend adding it after the sacc has done all it can to be sure the kombucha doesn't get to eat for too long.

Will the kombucha produce too much acetic acid if its added in the primary? I was about to add it only. because it should have jester kings yeast/brett/ other types of yeast.

Update:

In the first post it showed signs of fermentation and then stopped. I left it alone in my garage until this weekend that i notice a more rigerous fermentation with movement in the carboy:ban:. I dont know how long i'll let this ride but its not going to move until i'm happy with it.

IMAG1062.jpg

IMAG1063.jpg

IMAG1064.jpg

Guess I need to update this. The wild yeast brew stopped initially fermenting but a week late a bigger fermentation kiced off. I didnt get any picks but its was beautiful. Now it has a nice pellicle formed and obviously souring. Cant wait to finally try it and see how it is.

ForumRunner_20130524_093047.png

Next is the jester king dredges experiment. Had a nice fermentation and now has a beautiful pellicle on it

ForumRunner_20130524_093217.jpg

Need to make another!

How did the jester king experiment turn out? I'm planning on bottle harvesting some of their yeast soon to make a Noble King clone. How long did it take for the sourness to develop?

Back