Falconer's Flight IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrogantDusty

Reaction score
Let me know what you think of this recipe. I've put it together from stuff I had laying around.
5G
10lbs Gold Malt Extract
1.4lbs Briess Caramel 40L (steep)

60min - 2 oz Falconers Flight
45min - 1 oz Falconers Flight
1min - 3 oz Falconers Flight
Dry Hop - 3 oz Ahtanum

Your thoughts?

I don't know anything about the gold extract but 2oz at 60min is going to be harshly bitter and the 45min addition seems like a waste. I prefer to do a small 60min addition and get most of the ibus with late addition. A couple of weeks ago i made a pale with 4oz of FF hopbursted (all hop additions at 15min or less)

You could rework this a little. I have the OG coming out at 1.091 in beersmith, which is on the high side for a lot of styles except maybe an old ale. I'd rework the hops additions and probably just go with falconers flight is your single hop. It's very delicious and perfect for IPA styles. Remember, Falconer's flight is a blended hop that has several hop varieties in it. It will have depth and complexity in the flavor and aroma. I promise.

I would rework it like this:

5 Gal
9 lbs Golden light DME (90%)
1 lb. Crystal 40 (10%)

2 oz. FF @ 60
1 oz. FF @ 20
3 oz. FF @ 1
3 oz. FF dry hop seven days

OG: 1.082
IBU: 37.5
Yeast: WLP001 (2 ml starter or three tubes)
Addl: Pure O2 addition for 1 min post-pitch

You could rework this a little. I have the OG coming out at 1.091 in beersmith, which is on the high side for a lot of styles except maybe an old ale. I'd rework the hops additions and probably just go with falconers flight is your single hop. It's very delicious and perfect for IPA styles. Remember, Falconer's flight is a blended hop that has several hop varieties in it. It will have depth and complexity in the flavor and aroma. I promise.

I would rework it like this:

5 Gal
9 lbs Golden light DME (90%)
1 lb. Crystal 40 (10%)

2 oz. FF @ 60
1 oz. FF @ 20
3 oz. FF @ 1
3 oz. FF dry hop seven days

OG: 1.082
IBU: 37.5
Yeast: WLP001 (2 ml starter or three tubes)
Addl: Pure O2 addition for 1 min post-pitch

What alpha are you using for the FF? Mine was pretty high and would yield way more than 37ibus with that hop schedule.

What alpha are you using for the FF? Mine was pretty high and would yield way more than 37ibus with that hop schedule.

11.4% from my 1 oz. hopsunion bag, 2012 harvest. And if he uses an higher alpha FF, it will still be in line with BJCP for an old ale up to about 70 IBU's.

I don't know anything about the gold extract but 2oz at 60min is going to be harshly bitter and the 45min addition seems like a waste. I prefer to do a small 60min addition and get most of the ibus with late addition. A couple of weeks ago i made a pale with 4oz of FF hopbursted (all hop additions at 15min or less)

^ This

When I did a FF IPA, I did .5 oz FWH and .5 at 60, and it was plenty bitter. OG 1.058

I plugged all the numbers into beersmith and i come up with 1.080 OG, 50 IBUs, 11ish SRM and 7.9abv. 2oz seems like alot for bittering but you have to remember this is a DIPA in reality. I guess if were me id go with a smoother bittering hop like warrior or magnum and put those yummy FF hops to use somewhere in the 15 to 5 minute range of your boil.

1oz warrior 60m
1oz FF 20m
1oz FF 15m
1oz FF 10m
3oz FF 1m

DRY hop as you see fit, 2-4 oz

That works out to be about 54 IBU's

Give this beer some time to age and it should be very nice.

Back