Keeping the fermentation warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xenomaniac

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of Pecan Porter and it's in the first stage of fermentation. This past week, the weather has been perfect keeping the house at a nice 72 - 74 Fahrenheit which is what the batch calls for. Just last night we had a cold front move in and dropped the temps in the house to 65 (35 outside). I live with a roommate and he doesn't like to use the heater in the house to save money (in which I agree with) so we each have our own space heaters.

I was out at work downtown when the cold front came in so I didn't get home till 3am. As soon as I got home though, I grabbed a bath towel and wrapped it around my fermentation bucket while the house thermostat stays at 65. I'm hoping this will keep it warm enough till I move to the second fermentation process in which I'm probably move it to my room where it stays a nice 72 - 74 degrees constantly.

One problem, I don't have a lot of room in my room. I've been looking online to look at ways to keep your batch warm for fermentation and I noticed someone suggested using an aquarium heater. My question is, for a brewer on a tight budget, is this a great idea or are there other things I can do to keep my temps exactly where they are suppose to be?

Actually, a room temperature of 72-74 is probably too warm, as normally you want the fermentation temperature (not the ambient) to fall within the range specified. Since fermentation itself produces heat, it is not uncommon for the temperature of an active fermentation to be 5-10 degrees higher than the room temperature.

The thing to look at is the yeast strain- that's how you decide fermentation temperature. For example, say you're using White Lab's California ale yeast. If you go to their website, that strain says:

WLP001 California Ale Yeast
This yeast is famous for its clean flavors, balance and ability to be used in almost any style ale. It accentuates the hop flavors and is extremely versatile.
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High

In other words, if using that strain, keep it UNDER 73 degrees for best results.

What strain are you using?

First off what yeast is being used for this porter, those temps actually seem a little on the warm side.

You can use a swamp cooler set up with an aquarium heater in it or you can get a brew belt or Ferm wrap with a temp control device although that would be more expensive.

The porters I brew are fermented in the mid 60s which is why asked about what yeast is being used

Hmmm I think I'm using an SafAle S04.

EDIT: Just did a search myself and found this. "Optimum temp: 64°-75° F"

So guess I'm in the clear.

Hmmm I think I'm using an SafAle S04.

EDIT: Just did a search myself and found this. "Optimum temp: 64°-75° F"

So guess I'm in the clear.
Well maybe, I still think its too warm. The fermenter temp will always be higher than the ambient air temp. I shoot for 62 to ensure the fermentation does not go over 68. Try it both ways then you decide.

Well maybe, I still think its too warm. The fermenter temp will always be higher than the ambient air temp. I shoot for 62 to ensure the fermentation does not go over 68. Try it both ways then you decide.

I agree. That strain gets sort of funky over 72 degrees. I ferment it at about 64 degrees, in a 60 degree room, to keep it "clean".

You're absolutely fine in a 65 degree room, and in fact that would be far preferable for 99% of the ales you'd brew, so I'd err on the side of cooler instead of warmer.

Ok thanks for the info. The temp gauge on the side of the fermenter is well within the Ale range as well.

Agreed with your other advice - if possible, get this beer to an area with ambient temps in the low 60s.

Ok thanks for the info. The temp gauge on the side of the fermenter is well within the Ale range as well.

That very well could be but it doesn't take into account the type of ale or the yeast being used. Just because a stated range is given for a yeast doesn't necessarily mean it won't produce undesirable flavors in that range.

Ideally and for many strains the middle is the best place to be and as previously stated active fermentation can raise the temperature in the primary 5-10 degrees.

I have it stored in a dark closet. It's been a little chilly the past week. Seems the temp gauge says 65 degrees on the temp gauge. Hope I didn't ruin it. First batch I've done using grains and hops.

I feel that I'm going to be making a lot of Ales in the future (my favorite type) and with spring already here in Austin, keeping it cool when the summer months come is going to be a little tricky. What is a good way to keep my brew cool during those hot summer months? I am on a budget of course (stupid dead end job).

I have it stored in a dark closet. It's been a little chilly the past week. Seems the temp gauge says 65 degrees on the temp gauge. Hope I didn't ruin it. First batch I've done using grains and hops.

I feel that I'm going to be making a lot of Ales in the future (my favorite type) and with spring already here in Austin, keeping it cool when the summer months come is going to be a little tricky. What is a good way to keep my brew cool during those hot summer months? I am on a budget of course (stupid dead end job).

Nope- 65 degrees ambient is perfect, for all ales.

A good way to keep fermentation cool is with a fermentation chamber- generally a fridge or a mini fridge with a temperature controller. Otherwise, it's hard to do in Texas! When I'm up north, I can do a "swamp cooler" or a cool water bath, but in Texas it's not that easy. Spring, fall, and winter are much easier if you don't have a fridge to control the temperatures.

I don't brew in Texas, except at a friend's house, and he has a fridge that he uses for fermentation.

Nope- 65 degrees ambient is perfect, for all ales.

A good way to keep fermentation cool is with a fermentation chamber- generally a fridge or a mini fridge with a temperature controller. Otherwise, it's hard to do in Texas! When I'm up north, I can do a "swamp cooler" or a cool water bath, but in Texas it's not that easy. Spring, fall, and winter are much easier if you don't have a fridge to control the temperatures.

I don't brew in Texas, except at a friend's house, and he has a fridge that he uses for fermentation.

*Cough* Um yeah that doesn't sound like an "on a budget" way to keep things cool over the summer. Any other suggestions? During the summer we keep it at about 75 in the house. What would be a better brew instead then?

I have a friend I often brew with who has a temp controlled fridge but any batch that stays at my house over the summer has to use a Saison yeast.

Swamp coolers work in the spring and fall here, but not in the summer as nobody is home to swap ice bottles all day.

I tried my hand at a spin on the Son of Fermentation chamber (look that up too) but I made the mistake of using plywood which got all moldy. If you follow the plans to the letter, those are supposed to work great though.

There is also an insulated bag that some people swear by - the brew bag (or something like that) - so you might want to check that out as well.

*Cough* Um yeah that doesn't sound like an "on a budget" way to keep things cool over the summer. Any other suggestions? During the summer we keep it at about 75 in the house. What would be a better brew instead then?

+1 what Yooper told you about setting up a fermentation chamber (and whatever else she tells you for that matter).

It's not as hard nor as expensive as you might think and the payoff is large. It lets you ferment, lager, etc. at a precisely controlled temperature. Set it and leave it alone vs. having to mess with swapping out hot/cold bottles, guessing at your temps, and/or making messes. I'm really new to this and I have two, one chest freezer (that had been sitting empty in our garage) and one upright freezer bought on Craigslist. Total cost to buy and rig the upright freezer with the controller - $100. Compare that to the insulated bag thing which costs $55 plus shipping just for the bag. IMO, it's a no-brainer.

Just get a decent used freezer or fridge from Craigslist. Either works fine. The upright freezer or fridge is easier to move buckets/bottles in and out of vs. chest freezer.
I use (and like) temp control outlet boxes based on the STC-1000 dual controller. It's inexpensive ($24.39 shipped on Amazon) and gives you precise digital control (in Celsius) over your temps. I have the tolerance on mine set for +/- 0.5*C. All you have to add is a wall outlet and some sort of box to mount it all in (I used an old computer speaker casing for one and an old power supply box for the other).

STC1000s.jpg

If your fridge or freezer sits where it may get cold, the dual controller triggers either cooling or heat as needed (with a heat source placed inside). If you can wire a wall outlet, you can set one of these up easily.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 what Yooper told you about setting up a fermentation chamber (and whatever else he tells you for that matter).

Yep- it's a minor fix but I most definitely am not a a "he"! :D

The waterbath/cooler idea works great for many people in the summer- but in Texas it's so warm that it may not work well for you.

If you keep the air at a cool 75, then it may work because you can probably keep the fermentation temperature 10 degrees cooler than ambient. Most people I know, at least down here in S. Texas keep the air on at 80 or so, though to save a little $$$.

It should work this time of year. All you do is put your fermenter in a cooler, filled with water up to the beer level. Add a frozen water bottle (or two, or three) to get the water bath at 65 degrees. Then swap them at when needed. I float a thermometer in there- one of those cheapie floating thermometers, and keep the water bath at 65. That helps minimize temperature fluctuations, as it takes a long time for 5 gallons of beer and 5 gallons of water to change temperature, as well as hold it at the proper temperature.

In general, you want the fermentation temperature to be no higher than 73, and preferably less, for most ale yeast strains. 65-68 is perfect.

Just to get a first-hand observation of the heat generated by active fermentation I put a thermometer on the rack to see what the air temp is inside my upright freezer where I have a batch of Northern English Brown that's been there about 19 hours. It's bubbling pretty steadily through the airlock.

I have the STC-1000 temp sensor taped to the side of the bucket and insulated so it gets a good reading to operate the controller.

Ambient air temp = 60*F

Side of bucket temp = 67*F
(which is the temp at which I have the controller set)

Yeah I'm completely confused by the temperature controller. Call me lazy but I don't want to construct anything. I just want to buy something and have it already set up for me. Basically plug and play, that's it. Please make this simpler for me.

EDIT: Come to think of it, don't think there is any other alternative. I have a friend of mine that has been brewing for 12 years now. I should probably have him help me out.

Yeah I'm completely confused by the temperature controller. Call me lazy but I don't want to construct anything. I just want to buy something and have it already set up for me. Basically plug and play, that's it. Please make this simpler for me.

EDIT: Come to think of it, don't think there is any other alternative. I have a friend of mine that has been brewing for 12 years now. I should probably have him help me out.

Just buy a Johnson controller then.

Latest posts

Back