HOP SPIDER -NOT stainless steel, contamination issues??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pezman1

Reaction score
So I built a hop spider using a paint strainer bag that will hang on the side of the pot. The ring is made of galvanized steel ductwork. The steel is several inches abover the water level so even a rolling boil won't touch it.

Question - do I have to worry about steam condensing on the made in china galvanized steel ductwork and the resulting water dripping back into my beer???

Thanks! Pez.

While it won't melt like PVC, galvanized steel isn't [IMO] a good choice when it comes to things [that close] you will drink/eat. There's a reason it's not used for pots. It might be safe if you didn't put any holes in it, like for the legs. If you did drill it, I'd not use it.

I'm even looking into replacing the tub I used to make the exhaust hood for my basement brewery with stainless. Just waiting for some more info on the stainless item before I pull the trigger there.

yeah.....that's what I thought. Can't believe I didn't account for condensate. Oh well, I'm only out about 6 bucks. Thanks, Pez.

I buy the 5 gallon paint strainer bags from ace hardware. They fit perfectly around the rim of my 8 gallon pot and my keggle. At the end of the boil I just pick it up and turn it inside out and hit it with the hose

Decided to completely by-pass the spider.

I modified Clearcuts idea and used a small spring clamp that secures the hop bag directly to the pot's rim. Works great with one gallon paint strainer bags, and the bottom of the bag doesn't touch the pot bottom. Pez.

I like my spider...

First version
img00163-20110925-0002-52190.jpg

Different bag:
img00175-20111124-2129-52191.jpg

I've changed the legs to shorter ones so that it rests on the keggle opening now. I've also gone to the larger bag so that there's more room for the hops to float around in. With the 6" ring, it makes adding more hops damned easy. I also don't have to muck around with a clipped bag when I want to add more hops. I've run about 8oz of pellet hops in it so far. Might be using more in it pretty soon. :D

I like it too, but for now a paint strainer bag and a spring clip gets me brewing. I found a way to clip the bag and leave enough slack to easily add hops. Not as easily as the spider for sure, but good enough.

cheers. Pez.

Back